PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Install On Xp

technologicme
January 28th, 2013, 12:26 AM
?:Is it possible to install xubuntu or lubuntu on a xp machine circa 2003

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades

I see no reason why not. Download the ISO (torrent best, safest, quickest way), burn a disk, boot from that and try it out to see if everything works.

Do you know what CPU you have and how much RAM?

technologicme
January 28th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades

I see no reason why not. Download the ISO (torrent best, safest, quickest way), burn a disk, boot from that and try it out to see if everything works.

Do you know what CPU you have and how much RAM?

Processor
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
Speed: 2412 MHz Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 768 MB

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Should be all good. Burn the disks of each and give them a try. They run directly from the disk and you will have an icon on the desktop giving you the option to install .

technologicme
January 28th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Should be all good. Burn the disks of each and give them a try. They run directly from the disk and you will have an icon on the desktop giving you the option to install . so i can't boot it from a usb flash drive on that old machine i have to burn it onto a disk first then boot it from there

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 12:55 AM
You can use a USB dongle, sure. You need the appropriate application to make a bootable one, of course. You can't just dump the ISO to the thumb drive and boot from it ... nothing will happen.

Nburnes
January 28th, 2013, 01:13 AM
You can use a USB dongle, sure. You need the appropriate application to make a bootable one, of course. You can't just dump the ISO to the thumb drive and boot from it ... nothing will happen.

Well boot from USB does depend on his/her BIOS supporting it. A computer from 2003 may really be pushing it.

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Well boot from USB does depend on his/her BIOS supporting it. A computer from 2003 may really be pushing it.

Possibly correct. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us on this (their suggestion so guessing it is possible).

technologicme
January 28th, 2013, 01:23 AM
You can use a USB dongle, sure. You need the appropriate application to make a bootable one, of course. You can't just dump the ISO to the thumb drive and boot from it ... nothing will happen.I have xbuntu lubuntu kubuntu ubuntu on a transend flash drive i go into the bios an move it up to boot 1 but it still will not boot from the flash drive but it works on my windows 7 laptop an i installed ubuntu on a dual boot

Bucky Ball
January 28th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Hmm. Odd that it won't boot from the same USB device you have used to install on another machine.