PDA

View Full Version : What apps make ubuntu home for you?

frank604
January 27th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Currently I am wondering what everyone uses their ubuntu for. As for an immigrant from windows like me there are many newly discovered apps that really add flavour to my ubuntu experience. Please share on what makes ubuntu/linux home for you.

On my netbook I'm digging these apps:
lightread
minitube
gpodder podcast client
jupiter, caffeine, synapse, touchpad indicator, systemload indicator applets.

Got my chrome and thunderbird going on and now I'm happily reading news/rss feeds on my couch. Netbook is my chilling out device. I have a laptop but it is huge/heavy and isn't mobile. Ubuntu seems to me the perfect mix of playing around on linux, browse forums, etc.

What do you use ubuntu for? Maybe it isn't for chilling like me and more of a desktop/server where you are doing productive things. Tell me about it. I want to know how ubuntu fits in your lives.

tartalo
January 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM
1) Synaptic is the reason why I always come back to Ubuntu and Debian.

2) It's not an app, but Ubuntu PPAs are the main reason why I sometimes use Ubuntu instead of plain Debian.

black veils
January 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM
i use *buntu for everything, its my main computer, i use my android phone on the side.

what makes it home? hmm..
- firefox
- thunar file manager
- dropbox
- leafpad
- gimp
- sylpheed email

those are the main applications.

Gster4
January 27th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I use ubuntu for just about everything

hmm.... home apps:
-firefox -best browser ever
-guake --dropdown terminal. very useful
-bash --what a shell
-eclipse --for a IDE with nice features

Linuxratty
January 27th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Synaptic,Gimp,Fire Fox,movie player,Drop Box,PokerTH.(Linux Internationals play poker every Sat.)

mike acker
January 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I think we start by thinking about Basic Categories:

Basic Communication
Office
Photography
Music

In the basic Communication Section we will have our Browser and e/mail service. Ubuntu does a good job here as

Firefox
Thunderbird
GnuPG

are found pre-installed in the Basic System

In terms of Office we get to the WordProcessor, Spreadsheet, and DataBase

LibreOffice comes pre-installed and covers WordProcessing and Spreadsheet although from Linux to Windows you do not have good compatibility. This is an area that NEEDS FIXED: Schools may REQUIRE "Word" or "Excel" (where they should ask for .pdf ) -- and the LibreOffice .docx or .xlsx documents will not read in Windows/Office . This is a serious problem that needs attention -- for students everywhere who need to save pennies !!
MySql is fun to play with although getting it to work with LibreOffice Base is a bear . LibreOffice Base is no match for the JET interface to Access ...
Bluefish for html, c, etc
Gedit for text
CLIPIT -- we need a better clip manager for cut and paste like Clipmate
Krusader -- for Directory Management equ windows/explorer2
Screenshot -- for when you need it
Kolourpaint for when you need a graphic edit
Document Viewer- for .pdf viewing
OCRFeeder -- for OCR
SimpleScan for when you need to scan in from your printer

Photography

I think GWENVIEW is the best offering on Ubuntu by a ++ margin . Includes uploading to many popular photo sites . does poor job of downloading from camera: tries to get all images instead of just new ones .
GIMP if you like to edit images... ( yuk -- get 'em right in the camera guys ) .
VLC Media Player
Avidemux -- Video Edit

Music

Audacity -- for digitizing
Audacious -- nice simple playbacks
K3b -- CD Burner

these are basics i like best so far

ProxyCyber
January 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I really like

Screenlets (Widgets/Gadgets on the desktop)
MyUnity (Go Advanced with your theme and desktop options)
Gparted (I never use it but I used to.)
Shutter
Kazam Screencaster (video recorder for your desktop)
Wicd Network Manager
KDE Advanced Settings (more control -- more options)
Mouse Selector (to change theme of mouse, icons)
SimpleScan
Firefox
Cairo Dock

I also like a site, wherein it makes your computer more like a home. KDE-Look.org -- themes, widgets, EVERYTHING! :p

Lemuriano
January 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Gnu/Linux is my only system regardless of the flavor and these are my most popular apps.

1- Seamonkey (navigator, mail, Irc, address, composer)
2- Thunar
3- Gigolo
4- Bulk rename
5- Osmo
5- GnuCash
6- Calibre
7- Handbrake
8- Tor/Vidalia
9- Wicd network manager
10- Gthumb
11- Mousepad
12- Notes
13- Pidgin (Jabber)
14- DuckDuckGo (search)
15- Remmina
16- And last but not least Cli and Synaptic.

Everything under Xfce :D:D:D

rrnbtter
January 27th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Greetings,
Here's my standard install list.

Bluefish Editor
Claws-mail
CompizConfig
DVDFabQT
Filezilla
Firefox

Gajim Messenger
Gdebi
Gimp
Gphpeditor
Java (Open
K3B
Kmahjong
Kompozer
Krusader

Lucky Backup
Medibuntu
Midori Browser
Moneydance
Nero Burning Rom
Network Tools
Restricted Extras
Synapic
Uget
Virtualbox
VLC Media Player
Vnstat
Wine

The Spectre
January 27th, 2013, 07:53 PM
These are the Programs that make my Ubuntu PC a Home...

Chrome
Firefox
E-Mail (Web Based)
Gimp
DVD Styler
LibreOffice
VLC Media Player
OpenShot Video Editor
Brasero
VirtualBox
TeamViewer
I use all of these programs on a regular basis and are what make this computer the most usable and functional for me.

frank604
January 27th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was kind of hoping to see some new apps that were fun to use on a casual sitting on a couch basis. Great to see how differently people use their ubuntu :)

black veils
January 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was kind of hoping to see some new apps that were fun to use on a casual sitting on a couch basis. Great to see how differently people use their ubuntu :)

errr.. some games:

bomberclone is funny
pinball
pingus
neverball
trackballs
and of course hedgewars

?

frank604
January 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'm not really a gamer but hedgewars and bomberclone seem fun :) thanks. I like lightread (light rss feed). I like podcasts. Mostly I like reading about tech, funny news, life tips. And listening about the linux world from linux action show etc. Minitube gives a great feel to watching youtube. I'm on a netbook so the UI is much easier than if I were to navigate through a browser.

I was wondering if there are any other cool apps out there to kill time while I drink a beer instead of wasting time watching tv. Thank you for the inputs guys. Much appreciated.

black veils
January 27th, 2013, 11:02 PM
i am not a gamer either, but thought those could be of interest. i also like to read tech news, i use liferea. minitube is fun for the rare times i feel like searching things on youtube.

how about:

qtiko
xkcd browser
tastebook
an astronomy app?

frank604
January 27th, 2013, 11:10 PM
i am not a gamer either, but thought those could be of interest. i also like to read tech news, i use liferea. minitube is fun for the rare times i feel like searching things on youtube.

how about:

qtiko
xkcd browser
tastebook
an astronomy app?

YES YES YES!!! This is exactly the type of apps I'm looking for. Brilliant and thank you. If any more are out there feel free to add guys :)

Erik1984
January 27th, 2013, 11:17 PM
If you like logical puzzles (sudoku, kakuro, tents, that sort of stuff) the package
sgt-puzzles is quite cool. Graphically those games are a bit boring and look dated. The puzzles however are good and can be challenging sometimes.

In case you like card games KPatience is a good one. Doesn't pack so much different gametypes as Aisleriot Solitaire but looks a lot more modern with the right theme. Aisleriot is not bad but graphically way too primitive imo.

llanitedave
January 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM
My favorite astronomy App is Kstars. Not as pretty up front as Stellarium, for instance, but most useful in the trenches for real observing, and comparing what I see with what the "professionals" see.

Marzata
January 28th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Map (from sgt-puzzles)
sgt-puzzles
gbrainy
xtrlock
ncdu
htop

all of the above running on Xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org/) (the Xfce Desktop Environment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce)).

angry_johnnie
January 28th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I always end up coming back to linux because of these:

1. rhythmbox
2. transmission
3. bash
4. geany
5. openssh
6. devede
7. dvd::rip

I guess the most common apps are available for other systems, as well, like firefox, thunderbird, etc.

linuxcoffeelover
January 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM
my list:

firefox
chrome
vlc
kate
terminator
openssh
putty
virtualbox
pithos (Its a great pandora desktop client)

frank604
January 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I was intrigued by pithos. I was thinking, "I remember pandora! Great app and great music." I went to install pithos then launched it. Went to login and greeted with the "we are unavailable in your country: canada". Now I remember why I don't use pandora anymore...lol

black veils
January 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
i assume you know about miro..