PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with dual-booting setup

Pengi-FlyGirl26
January 27th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I got a new Asus K55A laptop in November(?) with 7 on it. Normally, I just would nuke it and load Ubuntu, but I need to use some Microsoft software for school and Wine has a tendency to be, well, "whiney". So Windows got to stay.
I've tried to load Ubuntu back a couple times, through both Wubi and a live cd. One time I was able to get the choose os screen on startup, but I had a file missing error, so I had to have a live cd in the tray to be able to use ubuntu (which really defeats the purpose of installation). I tried some partition formatting stuff, but I'm not experienced enough to really know what I'm doing. So, I've been putting up with Windows just to have a computer that works.
Until it doesn't. In the past 2-3 weeks, I've had about half a dozen total crashes. Two of them today. Sometimes it's kind enough to give me a bsod, other times it just turns itself off completely without warning. I've defraged, run antivirus & cclean, ect, and it's telling me things are normal.
I'm trying Wubi again, but I don't think things are going to be any different. If this wasn't the only system I owned, I would be dabbling more with it, but I don't want to do more damage. If it will help, I documented some of what I did and errors I've received. I'll try to find and upload later.

To recap:
want to dual-boot 7 & ubuntu
have buggy 7 computer
some stuff w/ partitions
missing files w/ install attempts
wubi attempts

As an aside--I did have java, but I uninstalled it already.

Where do I go from here?