PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and silverlight support

petersonlevi88
January 27th, 2013, 01:47 AM
More and more people are switching to ubuntu as Windows crashes. Please, this is a plea to someone, somewhere to provide support for silvrtlight. This is a big issue. I hate Windows. Someone please hear my plea> I am planning on going to school soon for computers (Linux programming, but please don't wait till I am done. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT. We've gone so far, don't give up now.. Makes me sad. Somebody please restore my faith

meteorrock
January 27th, 2013, 02:20 AM
This link here is an open source solution for linux. It is called "Moonlight", it looks like development on it has stalled somewhat.

If you know of anyone with development skills wanting to take a look over that site that would be great :)

Here is the link for that project. http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

Some are saying it still works for those cases you need a silverlight solution. I am not to sure what silverlight is supposed to do for linux, is it a web HTML or CSS tool? Let others know.

Sef
January 27th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Not a support question, so moved here.

monkeybrain2012
January 27th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Well go ask MicroSoft. MS itself seems to be giving up on silverlight anyway and apart from a few sites which uses it to push drm nobody uses it. I doubt that silverlight support would be a high priority for Linux users.

BTW "moonlight" almost never works (not that I care, but did try it out of curiosity), and it is guaranteed not to work when it is relevant because it doesn't support drm (as in Netflix) So what is the point of the project?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 27th, 2013, 02:34 AM
moon light does not have drm support
if you need netflix look here
http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html

no one here can get you silverlight, send a message to MS telling them to support linux

If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux, it means I've won - Linus Torvalds

meteorrock
January 27th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Yeah, it was a requital question, for the OP. Thanks for following up you guys. I forget some in here are not from the USA and do not follow American idioms. I will try to watch that. :guitar:

Here it is a form of friendship to tag someone with a teasing question, did not mean any harm to the OP.

Silverlight is losing support on the MS like the other anons are saying. Not much point in keeping it around.

sdowney717
January 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Moonlight worked when the elite wanted it to work. I watched the Olympics using it, that I recall.

Silverlight is bad, have you seen Netflix on a PC, not smooth. Compared to Hulu Youtube and Amazon whose videos are silky smooth.
Even on my powerful win7 PC, silverlight is not smooth like it should be. This does vary as some of the movies are smoother on playback. I watched a smooth one and it cause me less eye pain enough that I wondered if Netflix had screwed up and fixed the playback.