PDA

View Full Version : Steam on Linux? Microsoft's response (joke)

xAXIx
January 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Noooo! compilation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4)

Although really, how do you all think this will play out? OpenGL has the potential of being fine-tuned by game devs as it is open.

oldos2er
January 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

besial
January 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Is Steam on Linux?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Is Steam on Linux?
steam.deb (http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb)

Jakin
January 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Microsoft probably doesn't care one way or other is a game catalogue client like Steam is ported to linux, or any other OS.
It doesn't for certain mean every game will be ported, look at whats available for the almighty Apple Mac, and it has had steam for a few years.
We may or maynot see a tectonic shift of gaming platforms, its upto developers, not Steam themselves. Its nothing anyone can forsee, or something microsoft would bother to care about, atleast for now.

mips
January 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Is Steam on Linux?

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Is Steam on Linux?There was a guy on OMG Cheesecake that argued that Steam in not on Linux because it's only available for Ubuntu. :)

Microsoft probably doesn't care one way or other is a game catalogue client like Steam is ported to linux, or any other OS.
They probably don't care if Steam focuses on Linux because it's a competitor of their own Windows Store.

JDShu
January 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
There was a guy on OMG Cheesecake that argued that Steam in not on Linux because it's only available for Ubuntu. :)

They've publicly stated that they will officially support other major distributions (including my personal favorite, fedora). In any case, it's a of silly distinction as it gets into the whole Linux vs GNU/Linux, is Android Linux etc. etc. semantics debate.

Also, you still read that place? It stopped being insightful years ago.

They probably don't care if Steam focuses on Linux because it's a competitor of their own Windows Store.

I'm sure somebody at Microsoft is keeping an eye on how Steam's venture into Linux develops.

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2013, 02:40 AM
They've publicly stated that they will officially support other major distributions (including my personal favorite, fedora). In any case, it's a of silly distinction as it gets into the whole Linux vs GNU/Linux, is Android Linux etc. etc. semantics debate.I know. It was a pretty ridiculous argument. And for some reason, I thought you were a Bodhi Linux fan.

Also, you still read that place? It stopped being insightful years ago.
Lol. No, I don't hang out there. I did for a short while just for kicks. But then I realized how ridiculous it was, so I quit checking it out.

ssam
January 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
There was a guy on OMG Cheesecake that argued that Steam in not on Linux because it's only available for Ubuntu. :)

it may not yet be officially supported on other distros, but that has not stopped people working out how to install it.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux

drawkcab
January 29th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I'm sure somebody at Microsoft is keeping an eye on how Steam's venture into Linux develops.

No doubt. Steam unveiled it's console, "Piston," recently. It might be going up against Xbox and the gang by the end of the year. Likely it will run on Linux.

Hopefully this is prodding Nvidia to get with the program.

fontis
January 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I know this might be slightly unrelated...

BUT.
I installed Counter-Strike and launched it natively on Ubuntu the other day. And man.. I wanted to cry. Really. It was such a cathartic moment for me. Since the first time I installed a Linux OS on my computer back when I was a small kid. I always deeply wished for the day Half-Life and it's mods (CS, DoD, etc) would work in Linux. Since then, for the longest time I was always dualbooting or sad because it was impossible to have a proper native experience of it in the OS that was just so perfect for all my tinkering needs.

The fact that I was capable of doing just that, the other day, was immense. Even though I haven't even played CS in a very long time, it just felt so... unbelievable.

I'm so happy about all of this.

forrestcupp
January 29th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I know this might be slightly unrelated...

BUT.
I installed Counter-Strike and launched it natively on Ubuntu the other day. And man.. I wanted to cry. Really. It was such a cathartic moment for me. Since the first time I installed a Linux OS on my computer back when I was a small kid. I always deeply wished for the day Half-Life and it's mods (CS, DoD, etc) would work in Linux. Since then, for the longest time I was always dualbooting or sad because it was impossible to have a proper native experience of it in the OS that was just so perfect for all my tinkering needs.

The fact that I was capable of doing just that, the other day, was immense. Even though I haven't even played CS in a very long time, it just felt so... unbelievable.

That's awesome. Steam and HL2 have worked fairly well for a long time with Wine, but not nearly as well as native. Even though HL2 worked fairly well with Wine, it was still kind of buggy. It's pretty awesome that they're doing this.

drawkcab
January 30th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I installed Counter-Strike and launched it natively on Ubuntu the other day. And man.. I wanted to cry. [...]

I'm feeling you!!! :D

But then I just bought a nettop with Optimus graphics that are unsupported under Linux and wanted to cry for other reasons. :(