PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation seems to hang up

arkan01d
January 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I have installed Ubuntu server and desktop on a few older PCs and now would like to install 12.04 desktop on my main PC. The problem is, the CD boots, I see the screen with the keyboard and person at the bottom. Then the screen goes to black with a single blinking underscore, like I'm at a console, only mid-screen. After a minute or two my speakers play a sound like a ding, but the screen does not change. I've waited over 10 minutes with no further results. I've tried typing, but the underscore does not move.

I wonder if it stems from having a PCIxpress video card installed. Unfortunately my onboard video only has a VGA plug and I can't seem to find a DVI to VGA converter in my house. A check of the BIOS and there isn't a way to disable my onboard graphics, just list my card as primary. However, I'm not totally sure this is the problem as the initial install screen does show up. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

CPU - Intel - i5-2500k 3.30GHz
RAM - 16 GB
Motherboard - AsRock Fatal1ty z68 Gen3
Video - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Try booting using nomodeset, see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132).