PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing LUbuntu

MarC2240
January 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to intall Lubuntu 12.10 on a Dell Latitude d610. The problem I have is that when I try to install it, it just freezes on the luubuntu screen with the five dots underneath the logo. I don't know what may be causing it.

I copied the iso for Lubuntu to a pendrive using UNetbootin. I verified the Md5Sum of the iso, there's no problem with it. The specifications of my PC shouldn't be a problem either => Intel Pentium M processor, 1.73GHz, 1.2GB RAM, 40GB Harddrive. Here they are on more detail: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd610/en/ug_en/specs.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TheFu
January 25th, 2013, 10:20 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it might help. There is an Ubuntu blank screen troubleshooter that might also help. Google will find it.

Just to clarify, you can boot using the same ISO file from a flash drive and run off the flash drive without any issues?

MarC2240
January 25th, 2013, 10:31 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it might help. There is an Ubuntu blank screen troubleshooter that might also help. Google will find it.

Just to clarify, you can boot using the same ISO file from a flash drive and run off the flash drive without any issues?

Not it doesn't freeze, just boots to the black screen.
I don't understand what you're asking me. Do you mean if I can unplug the flash drive after booting?

TheFu
January 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Not it doesn't freeze, just boots to the black screen.
I don't understand what you're asking me. Do you mean if I can unplug the flash drive after booting?

I was unable to tell from the wording of your first post, whether:

a) you installed Ubuntu to the HDD and it boots to the 3 dots

or if

b) you can also run Ubuntu Live off the unetbootin flash drive getting passed the boot and into a normal desktop.

If neither methods work, then it is likely to be 1 issue.
If "b" works, then you've removed the HDD and HDD controller, so that is probably the issue.

Did you look at those links and google those terms for help yet?

MarC2240
January 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I was unable to tell from the wording of your first post, whether:

a) you installed Ubuntu to the HDD and it boots to the 3 dots

or if

b) you can also run Ubuntu Live off the unetbootin flash drive getting passed the boot and into a normal desktop.

If neither methods work, then it is likely to be 1 issue.
If "b" works, then you've removed the HDD and HDD controller, so that is probably the issue.

Did you look at those links and google those terms for help yet?

I installed the Lubuntu iso in the flashdrive. I was attempting to install it, it froze on me. Now it just blankscreens me. I haven't tried to install it by any other means (burning a CD or wubi)
From the links, it may have something to do with the installer messing with the graphic card, but I'm not sure yet.

TheFu
January 25th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I installed the Lubuntu iso in the flashdrive. I was attempting to install it, it froze on me. Now it just blankscreens me. I haven't tried to install it by any other means (burning a CD or wubi)
From the links, it may have something to do with the installer messing with the graphic card, but I'm not sure yet.

Well, that can be either a unetbootin issue - which is common - or your BIOS doesn't support booting from that specific flash drive - or some issue with Ubuntu.

I switched to using Yumi instead of Unetbootin a few years ago. IME, it was easier and worked on almost every flash drive I tried. Yumi is at the same place as unetbootin.

If that fails, burn a DVD and boot from that.

It really would be best to follow the blank screen troubleshooter. Smart people created that.