PDA

View Full Version : Does Canonical need resellers/partners or is it a dead role?

mintra
January 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hi

As a reseller for 30 years it is obvious that Microsoft is beginning a channel cull, in the same way Apple did many years ago, e.g. buying into hardware, making its own and doing its own online store.

This is not a problem for me in that I do a lot of open source work.

However I am sure I have tried to register as a ubuntu/canonical partner in the past, and I have made two applications recently and they ignore them. The main phone number to London office is also not working I made several attempts today.

I may just be out of date maybe there is no role for resellers, and they are right to ignore partner requests. I note they have very few partners compared to say Microsoft.

Does anyone have any views on this.

Another open source vendor had someone to answer the phone and give me the details.

mintra
January 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Actually went through my spam bin and had got a reply, it seems to be a partner that you need to be trading installing linux system (yes since 1993) and do some Linux certification.

As I stopped doing tests after my driving test, it looks like a no no for me.

I suppose if I was "certified" I would have checked my spam filter before doing posts :p