PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] x64 netinst ATI Radeon HD 4800 causes black screen

Rz666
January 25th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Hey there,

Yesterday I tried to install Ubuntu on my other PC, due to the fact that I have no DVD's and not a proper USB flash drive I decided to download the netinst "mini" version of Ubuntu.

Source:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

However, each of these options:

Install
Command line install
Recovery

Each of these options will result in (Note: changed "quiet" to "noquiet"):

Loading Linux.......
Loading initrd.gx...................Ready

*Blank screen*So after a reboot I tried to press TAB to edit the "Install" menu entry.
The default is:

linux vga=788 initrd=initrd.gz -- quietThe system on which I am trieing to install Ubuntu has an ATI Radeon HD4800 graphics card. And after some searches I see this is a common problem.
The things that are recommended, to change the line with the things:

nomodeset
radeon.modeset=0
noacpi
acpi=off
acpi_osi=
acpi_osi="Linux"
acpi=ht
noapic
nolapic

However I don't have any experience with the these boot parameters. How should my line look like when I add one (or more) of these parameters?
Would this problem also occur when I use a DVD with the full installation instead of the "mini" ISO?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Phelps
January 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM
AMD dropped restricted driver support for their HX 2x/3x/4x cards last summer, so you need to ensure that you are NOT trying to use the AMD restricted drivers, otherwise, all you'll get is a black screen.,

Rz666
January 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM
AMD dropped restricted driver support for their HX 2x/3x/4x cards last summer, so you need to ensure that you are NOT trying to use the AMD restricted drivers, otherwise, all you'll get is a black screen.,

Thanks for your reply, how do I make sure that i'm not using these drivers? (Do I need to install other drivers?) I managed to install the Debian distro in the meanwhile but I prefer to use Ubuntu.