PDA

View Full Version : Python 3 IDE in Ubuntu or Debian repository

davidvgregory
January 25th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I have been looking for a Python 3.x IDE in the Ubuntu and Debian repositories and can't seem to find one (other than IDLE, which I consider to be more of a 'decorated editor' than a true IDE). Does anyone know of anything that is appropriate for larger projects and is in the repository?

So far the best solution I can come up with is the Eric 5 tarball (I love Eric 4 for Python 2.7), but I was hoping to just let apt do all the work.

I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been answered here, but I couldn't seem to find anything.

NilPointer
January 25th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I use Geany. In my opinion, it's great and lightweight IDE. It's in Ubuntu repositories and it supports "projects", has autocompletion, syntax highlighting, etc.

Warren Hill
January 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
There are lots

Geany, Pydev in eclipse, idle

Look in the software centre select "Development" then "IDE" you will find lots though not all support Python.

I would go for Pydev personally but the choice is yours.

davidvgregory
January 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm checking Geany out as I write this and planning on looking at Pydev next. I'm trying to migrate from 2.7 to 3.2 right now and I'm forever slipping into the older syntax once I get "going" and forget that it's not compatible. I'm hoping for something with an editor that will flag these errors so I can fix it before I try to run it and get nothing but a stack trace for my effort. Idle will show me when I am wrong, but has no support for project management or version control. PIDA, SPE, Eric 4, and Spyder have the latter but they see 2.7 as syntactically correct.

Hopefully one of these will be what I'm looking for. Otherwise I might have to actually pay attention to what I'm doing...ugh xP

r-senior
January 25th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I've only used it with Python 2 but I believe later versions of pylint can check Python 3 for problems. I set up pylint as a custom build command in Geany so that I can fire it off easily when editing a file.

davidvgregory
January 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Looks like I've found what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone for the replies!