PDA

View Full Version : LPI 201 exam

Andryg
January 24th, 2013, 07:17 PM
What is the best distro to use to study for the LPI 201 exam?

sffvba[e0rt
January 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Double.J
January 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Having a quick peruse of the "detailed objectives" of the course, none of that seems very distro specific, so you should be able to get by on almost anything.

I would however advise running your test system in a virtual machine, and depending on your experience, opt for a non graphical install.

If you really want to get your hands down on the metal you can give gentoo a go, but personally I think a lot is to be said for a system you already known so you are only learning what is new. That would probably be ubuntu server.

Also bear in mind where you want to end up... RHEL. Exam? If so I'd strongly recommend purchasing a client copy for $50 to get used to their Eco system. Similarly the lpi site says that you will be able to apply for suse certified Linux administrator upon passing the exam, so suse is also a good option; you can use suse studio to custom build a distro with the packages you need.

Personally I'd advise using a mix of the above in virtual machines; bear in mind you are tested on kernels 2 .6 and 3

Good luck!!

Andryg
January 25th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks , wil look at Gentoo,
I Found some nice info here as well for those are interested
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/201.html