PDA

View Full Version : A little script to change the xorg.conf driver to "vesa"

IYY
July 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Seems like this is a very common operation that we tell newbies to do, and it scares some people (requires editing a file). Why don't we just give them a simple script like...

#!/bin/sh

file="/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
cp $file $file.bak
x=`grep "Section \"Device\"" -A 5 $file | grep Driver`
cat $file | sed s/"$x"/"\tDevice\t\t\"vesa\""/ > $file.2
cp $file.2 $file

Nothing fancy... Just replace whatever video driver is currently selected with the safe 'vesa'.

Can even stick a

echo "To restart your X server automatically, type yes. This will shut down all of your programs."
read x
if [ $x = "yes" ]
then
/etc/init.d/gdm restart
fi

in the end there, and everything would be completely automated.

LordRaiden
July 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Great idea. Also should be able to switch to /etc/init.d/kdm if the user runs KDE.

Iandefor
July 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
This checks to see if it's running GNOME or KDE, then acts accordingly.

if ps -e | grep gnome-panel && ps -e | grep metacity ; then
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
else
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
fi

IYY
July 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Or just...

if ps -e | grep gdm ; then
else
fi

Iandefor
July 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Or just...

else
fi Riight... cause that just detects what's actually running, instead of making assumptions based on what happens to be running.

Works better, yeah :).

LordRaiden
July 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Don't know about xfce? Does it run gdm as well?

tseliot
July 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Don't know about xfce? Does it run gdm as well?
Yes it does

tseliot
July 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Or just...

else
fi

I used this step in the previous releases of my Envy script but (I don't know why) using "if ps -e | grep gdm ; then..." when there is a problem (e.g. a driver mismatch or a problem with the Xserver in general) Kubuntu's splash spawns up and remains idle (it doesn't freeze though).

EDIT: I'm not saying that the problem takes place every time you use those commands but I think it's better if the script works in as many cases as possible.

Therefore I hope you will consider mine as constructive (instead of sterile) criticism.

Wallakoala
July 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
This checks to see if it's running GNOME or KDE, then acts accordingly.

if ps -e | grep gnome-panel && ps -e | grep metacity ; then
else
fi

The problem whith that one is if the user isn't using gnome-panel in gnome, which some people don't. The bigger problem is if they are using a different window manager that is not metacity. A lot of people do that (compiz, openbox, etc.)

Iandefor
July 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
The problem whith that one is if the user isn't using gnome-panel in gnome, which some people don't. The bigger problem is if they are using a different window manager that is not metacity. A lot of people do that (compiz, openbox, etc.) Yeah, see IYY's response right after that... and then my own response.

rexmollc
March 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Look I don't need a script could you guys just give me the command line entries and a quick how-to on the editor? I just need to change the video back to a safer VESA mode so I can access the desktop....
Please email me at rexmollc@sbcglobal.net THANK YOU I really really appreciate ur help!