PDA

View Full Version : Can't get off 10.04. Quite happy with 10.04 Quantal fails for me.

aspidistra
January 24th, 2013, 09:52 AM
xubuntu 12.10 (quantal) Looked positive at first (xubuntu) --- resolved a long standing issue (x2x)

looked great - nifty things - could drift menu items to panel - I don't need much

seemed fast - seemed robust for a day

got everything configured --- started using it
1st major program I ran (python) - script - #!/usr/bin/python header

BANG -- kernel panic
this is not the script this is a development thing thats been going on for months i've never once seen a kernel panic --- saw two this week (xubuntu 12.10)

I had one on my main server - desktop - has run linux for years without a kernel panic - that one locked randomly not even with python. I had one on my generic dell laptop which was actually shipped from dell with ubuntu on it - its actually an ubuntu machine

never ever seen one in let me think 7 years of using linux this time

I was on #ubuntu saying initially - is there a log? realised what I was asking
its a kernel panic - it dies to fast for anything -- should have taken a picture of the screen for any possible debugging - a CAMERA PHOTO of my screen - it completely bricked my system

sticking with xubuntu 10.04 absolutely have never faulted it, stable

never moving off

just one other thing - NFS seemed a bit iffy - setting both machines up as server wasn't consistant in that one mount was slow to come up, or it just wouldn't mount. Had at least 1 network connection

also - the search on synaptic is horrible - used to be based on one keyword - you put in a keyword to search for a package in synaptic and you get a list of all "containing" rather than all specific - they've regressed the search IMO

it did seem faster - is it faster

as this is general chat (I post this here as I don't have any idea of what the kernel panic actually was - have just ditched quantal) does anyone know how to get a crucial ssd to wake up - I get no volumes addresseable on the install - the power went off in the middle of an install onto that ssd and now the ssd can't be seen by anything. I've got an ssd I can't use here. SSDs aren't the same as hard drives they seem to get their MBR corrupted - have tried all kinds of things to resurrect this 64gb crucial C300 drive

mastablasta
January 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
why move from LTS with couple of months support left in it to non LTS?

Jakin
January 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
why move from LTS with couple of months support left in it to non LTS?

+1 That's my exact thought, as well. 12.04 is far more stable than 12.10.

BarfBag
January 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I concur. Xubuntu 12.04 is more stable then 12.10, and you can update XFCE to the latest version with a PPA (if you're so inclined).

BlinkinCat
January 24th, 2013, 03:22 PM
i concur. Xubuntu 12.04 is more stable then 12.10, and you can update xfce to the latest version with a ppa (if you're so inclined).

+1

dannyboy79
January 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
why move from LTS with couple of months support left in it to non LTS?12.10 (which is what he moved "from") is NOT an LTS release.

I myself am loving Xubuntu 12.04, which of course is the next LTS after 10.04. I just recently came to Xubuntu 12.04 from Ubuntu 10.04. I dislike Unity, maybe the next LTS i'll switch to unity when it's got all the little bugs worked out.

aspidistra
January 25th, 2013, 02:46 AM
+1 That's my exact thought, as well. 12.04 is far more stable than 12.10.

12.10 has a bug resolved for me
x2x (control of mouse,keyboard over multiple screens) doesn't work on 12.04
works on 10.04

aspidistra
January 25th, 2013, 02:48 AM
i quoted rather than edited question about ppa
can't delete entry

aspidistra
January 25th, 2013, 02:53 AM
good - I follow this:

Install XFCE 4.10 In Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin Via PPA (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/install-xfce-410-in-xubuntu-1204.html)

and I can hopefully upgrade the xfce on 12.04 to the xfce present on 12.10
which will hopefully fix the x2x problem

thanks all

rrnbtter
January 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Greetings,
Couldn't agree more about the 10 series Ubuntu. I thought that 10.10 Maverick was a fine system. Everything from then until and including the current development release is what I would consider a major evolution. My particular machine goes really well with linux so I don't have the problems that some have with more exotic hardware. Hopefully this new release 13.04 can be as sweet for everyone as it is for me. In the mean time I don't see any reason not to use what I have always believed to be a smooth fast system like Lucid. I also agree that it is worth continued support since it does run well on the lighter hardware that needs a trimmer system.

TeamRocket1233c
January 26th, 2013, 03:26 AM
What about moving from LTS to LTS - 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx to 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin?

Artemis3
January 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I use Xubuntu 12.04 LTS just fine. You should stay with LTS releases.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 27th, 2013, 02:43 AM
good - I follow this:

Install XFCE 4.10 In Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin Via PPA (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/install-xfce-410-in-xubuntu-1204.html)

and I can hopefully upgrade the xfce on 12.04 to the xfce present on 12.10
which will hopefully fix the x2x problem

thanks all
dont forget the 4.12 ppa
https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.12