PDA

View Full Version : Unpickable object[Python]

0x8BADF00D
January 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hi there,

I would like to serialize a socket object(actually it's a dictionary that contain a socket object).
I have read about Pickle but, a socket object could not be picklable.
Any suggesstions?

NilPointer
January 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Yes, socket can't be pickled. There's nothing can be done about that. It's because you can't really "save" connection, i.e. if one machine closes connection (or stops communication), other machine will break connection on it's end, too. Even if you would save connection state (socket), deserializing won't work since connection would be already broken anyway. So, that's why socket is not picklable.

Although, it's quite possible to save data, required to reestablish connection (such as IP, port, etc) and create new socket from that data at unpickle time. Of course, that would require moving socket out of dictionary.

0x8BADF00D
January 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Yes, socket can't be pickled. There's nothing can be done about that. It's because you can't really "save" connection, i.e. if one machine closes connection (or stops communication), other machine will break connection on it's end, too. Even if you would save connection state (socket), deserializing won't work since connection would be already broken anyway. So, that's why socket is not picklable.

Although, it's quite possible to save data, required to reestablish connection (such as IP, port, etc) and create new socket from that data at unpickle time. Of course, that would require moving socket out of dictionary.

i'm developing instant messaging software and my idea was to save a connection
and use it later and when the socket is invalid I will recognize the specefied user and then communicate thourgh it.

NilPointer
January 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand what are you trying to do. You are planning to identify user by saved socket? How exactly you're planning to do that?

micahpage
January 24th, 2013, 02:55 PM
this pretty much says it all:

Although, it's quite possible to save data, required to reestablish connection (such as IP, port, etc) and create new socket from that dataYou can do what you are trying to do just from saving the ip and port info, as "saving the connection" is saving the ip and port etc.