PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 with Cinnamon shell ?

offgridguy
January 24th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Hello, The next distro i plan on trying ,gives 3 options for DE, they are KDE, Xfce and
Gnome 3 with Cinnamon Shell.

The first 2 i have tried, not extensively but enough to get an idea of what they are like.
The latter ie Gnome3/Cinnamon is new to me, I would appreciate hearing some thoughts
on this from someone who has used it.:D

Frogs Hair
January 24th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Cinnamon is fork or variation of the Gnome Shell with a more traditional menu but not like KDE or XFCE . There are a number of videos on Youtube just look for the most current.

offgridguy
January 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the reply, do you use it or do you have other preferences ?

orb9220
January 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I use it as started with my preferred Gnome and this is Gnome 3 with Cinnamon that brings back some of that gnome 2 functionality.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8362/8319215042_8f72440a3c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/8319215042/)
Desktop Dual LCD Display Dec. 28th (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/8319215042/) by Orbmiser (http://www.flickr.com/people/orb9220/), on Flickr

Works for me. As don't care for Unity and glad others are finding it to their liking. KDE is popular and a great DE but also not to my liking.

Great thing is finding a flavor that can give you that warm fuzzy feeling is what makes linux so great.

offgridguy
January 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the input orb9220.

kurt18947
January 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I think the best idea short of installing several distros is to download and burn live CD/DVD/USB and try them. We all have different needs, methods of work and preferences. In the case of gnome-shell, running off a DVD would not be representative for me, I install several extensions. I guess I could install the extensions but they wouldn't survive a reboot.

Another option with the advent of cheap USB drives is to delete the existing partition of a USB drive, create an ext2 partition and install there. I'm doing that now with 13.04 and it is quite usable. Not as fast as installing to a hard drive of course, updates take forever but still quite functional. I can install printers, Firefox extensions etc. etc. and everything is there. Of course there is live USB with persistence but by doing a 'real' install, there's no 4 GB. limit on persistent data.

offgridguy
January 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM
I think the best idea short of installing several distros is to download and burn live CD/DVD/USB and try them. We all have different needs, methods of work and preferences. In the case of gnome-shell, running off a DVD would not be representative for me, I install several extensions. I guess I could install the extensions but they wouldn't survive a reboot.

Another option with the advent of cheap USB drives is to delete the existing partition of a USB drive, create an ext2 partition and install there. I'm doing that now with 13.04 and it is quite usable. Not as fast as installing to a hard drive of course, updates take forever but still quite functional. I can install printers, Firefox extensions etc. etc. and everything is there. Of course there is live USB with persistence but by doing a 'real' install, there's no 4 GB. limit on persistent data.
Sounds like good advice, thank you. The whole DE subject can
stir up a lot of controversy. All i am looking for is something easy to use, reasonably fast, and reasonably pleasant to look at.

I still like unity it does all of the above, KDE is overkill
for me as i am not that much into customization. Xfce,well
maybe i could warm up to that. The gnome/cinnamon is starting
to sound interesting.

orb9220
January 25th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Yep tried out a french distro called Voyager 12.10 (http://voyager.legtux.org/) xfce and has alot of the customizations already done with built in 20 switchable conky scripts and is lightning fast.

Fuduntu 13.1 (http://www.fuduntu.org/)has Awn or Dockey and a lightweight Gnome 2 with polish.

But always come back to Mint 14 Cinnamon as a gnome is my preference and is a modern slicker Gnome 3 with a lot of the goodness from Gnome 2 environment.

offgridguy
January 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
But always come back to Mint 14 Cinnamon as a gnome is my preference and is a modern slicker Gnome 3 with a lot of the goodness from Gnome 2 environment.
I wonder if you could expand a bit on the features,which you describe "with a lot of the goodness" . Please and Thank you.

zombifier25
January 25th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I wonder if you could expand a bit on the features,which you describe "with a lot of the goodness" . Please and Thank you.

Why don't you install it and try it out for yourself? It's not like a few megabytes will kill a baby.

Frogs Hair
January 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reply, do you use it or do you have other preferences ?

Like KDE I removed Cinnamon pretty quickly and probably should have given it more time. I currently run 12.10 with the Gnome Shell and the XFCE Session and of course that includes unity. The more desktops I learn to use the better. :o

orb9220
January 25th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Sure missing customizing and users features that where removed in Gnome 3. As a result projects like Cinnamon based on Gnome 3 but adds back some of those much loved features that users used and needed. Recently Gnome 3 has back peddled a bit and has added some of those gnome 2 features.

offgridguy
January 26th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Why don't you install it and try it out for yourself? It's not like a few megabytes will kill a baby.
You are correct, but i like to research first. I am getting quite
a stack of install CD's that i likely won't use again.:D
Thanks for the input.

offgridguy
January 26th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Like KDE I removed Cinnamon pretty quickly and probably should have given it more time. I currently run 12.10 with the Gnome Shell and the XFCE Session and of course that includes unity. The more desktops I learn to use the better. :o
I agree about the more desktops I learn ,the better. I kind of liked KDE but the learning curve is huge, mainly time constraints
dictated the outcome. Thanks for the reply.

offgridguy
January 26th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Sure missing customizing and users features that where removed in Gnome 3. As a result projects like Cinnamon based on Gnome 3 but adds back some of those much loved features that users used and needed. Recently Gnome 3 has back peddled a bit and has added some of those gnome 2 features.
I did try a Sabayon distro that had gnome 2 but i couldn't get it
to fire up so i never did get a chance to see what gnome 2 was all about.

orb9220
January 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Well true gnome 2 experience then try Mint 14 mate.
Otherwise liking Mint 14 Cinnamon.

offgridguy
January 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Well true gnome 2 experience then try Mint 14 mate.
Otherwise liking Mint 14 Cinnamon.
Thanks again for the input.:D

houseworkshy
January 26th, 2013, 03:50 PM
One light version of KDE which shows promise is razor, it can be installed on any Ubuntu and chosen at bootup so one doesn't need to do a whole reinstall just to test it. It isn't quite finished yet but is already usable and a good choise if RAM is a problem and KDE, and it's applications plus the qt applications are liked. I doubt "not quite finished yet" will apply for long as development seems rapid.
http://www.razor-qt.org
There are also LXDE, Xfce and a large range of others but in every thread along the lines of this one, unlike razor-qt, they usually get a mention in the first few replies.

offgridguy
January 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
One light version of KDE which shows promise is razor, it can be installed on any Ubuntu and chosen at bootup so one doesn't need to do a whole reinstall just to test it. It isn't quite finished yet but is already usable and a good choise if RAM is a problem and KDE, and it's applications plus the qt applications are liked. I doubt "not quite finished yet" will apply for long as development seems rapid.
http://www.razor-qt.org
There are also LXDE, Xfce and a large range of others but in every thread along the lines of this one, unlike razor-qt, they usually get a mention in the first few replies.
Thanks for the input, DE are such a personal choice, the subject always brings up a lot of interest, sometimes along with some
very strong opinions as well. My initial experience with linux
was ubuntu 12.04 with unity, which i still like mainly because
it's quick and easy. I keep trying other distro's and desktops
out of curiosity,and to stay informed with what everyone is talking about. They all have their good points.