PDA

View Full Version : A journey into Lubuntu

*^kyfds(
January 23rd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Today i'm installing Lubuntu onto a dell Optiplex 170L, with 512mb ram, and unkown graphics chipset and a brand new cheap hard drive.

I'm aiming to finish up with an energy efficent, but mainly cheap machine compaired to my big computer, that can act as a productivity machine.

I hope this thread will act as both a feedback, and an issue thread, and overall a journal into learning more about linux, as i still haven't got much experience.

MG&TL
January 23rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
Feel free to file any bugs on the bug tracker, and any comments on the mailing lists as well, to maximise coverage (obviously follow etiquette though...). Developers don't have enough time to read these forums. :)

*^kyfds(
January 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I probably should have mentioned this before, but this PC's from 2003, so both the hard drive and one of the data leads are broken.

After struggling for half an hour to fit new cables, i've finally got this computer to recognise the new hard drive. yay.

I created a boot disk earlier, and i'm starting the installation now.

Carro
January 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM
hey ,
if you want a super small install look into core install ..
i just did it ( took some effort ) but is well worth it
i have not installed any X components so it might be different for you ..
i started with ubuntu-remix

regards
carro

*^kyfds(
January 23rd, 2013, 11:06 PM
ok, so i'm running into problems while installing though the alternate (text) installer. Whenever it reaches something along the lines of 'installing selected programs', It errors, and returns me to the install menu. I've tried repeating the install of this component of the install, but it won't complete.

sdowney717
January 23rd, 2013, 11:59 PM
Can that old PC run the LiveCD or LiveUSB?
Dells may have problems with dried up capacitors.

*^kyfds(
January 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM
It's now working!

Turns out that the original Lubuntu iso i downloaded was bad, and the text installer is unstable on this machine.

I've just completed the install, lauching to desktop now.

*^kyfds(
January 24th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Can that old PC run the LiveCD or LiveUSB?
Dells may have problems with dried up capacitors.

The CD drive died long ago, although the USB disk seems to work fine, other than a little bit of lag when starting up the install.

BlinkinCat
January 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Turns out that the original Lubuntu iso i downloaded was bad

Verifies that it is always worthwhile to check the MD5Sum - ;)

*^kyfds(
January 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Verifies that it is always worthwhile to check the MD5Sum - ;)

I have a habit forgetting these kind of things... :popcorn:

*^kyfds(
January 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM
absolutely stunned.

113 Mb of ram used while running both a browser and the update manager.

The only thing limiting the speed now is the CPU.

sdowney717
January 25th, 2013, 12:58 AM
You can run windows7 and ubuntu12 on a pentium 4 2.8ghz and 800mhz system bus with 2gb ddr and an agp vid card decently.

The video card has a lot to do with it feeling sluggish or feeling more zippy.

offgridguy
January 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Today i'm installing Lubuntu onto a dell Optiplex 170L, with 512mb ram, and unkown graphics chipset and a brand new cheap hard drive.

I'm aiming to finish up with an energy efficent, but mainly cheap machine compaired to my big computer, that can act as a productivity machine.

I hope this thread will act as both a feedback, and an issue thread, and overall a journal into learning more about linux, as i still haven't got much experience.
Didn't know there was such a thing as 'a brand new cheap hard drive'. ;)

*^kyfds(
January 27th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Didn't know there was such a thing as 'a brand new cheap hard drive'. ;)

Check online for a 100 Gb hard drive. Many of the less speedy ones go for about 30 pounds. :D

mastergunner
January 29th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Would be interested to know of the OP has gotten Flash to work in Chromium. Since it is an old computer I would bet that it is not sse2.

nothingspecial
January 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

mips
January 30th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Since it is an old computer I would bet that it is not sse2.

Those computers came with P4 or Celeron CPUs and they have SSE2 support. The later Prescot versions also had SSE3.

undecided4
January 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Lubuntu is indeed lightweight.

linuxcoffeelover
January 31st, 2013, 01:58 AM
Lubuntu good choice. I have not used the alternate installer before but now I have to give that a shot.