PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] iLamp G4 Install

dragon2600
January 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hi All,

I am having a real problem installing ubuntu on an old iMac G4 (ilamp) I have tried ubuntu 10.4LTS Xubuntu 10.4 Both of these boot into an "ubuntu" orange screen (Full bright orange!!!) on the live CD I have also tried the alt install CD which works it goes through the install but after the reboot it boots but I get the same orange screen. Lubuntu 12.10 this a live CD and after the boot loader the Cd spins for a while but just a black screen, and all i can do is Ctrl Alt Del and it ejects the Cd and reboots.

I hope that someone could help me all I want this machine to do is be a jukebox and internet radio.

Thanks

kibosh81
January 23rd, 2013, 03:11 AM
are you sure your drive is in good working order? you can use disc utility from an OSX disc to verify. I was able to get Lubuntu 12.10 working on a G4 powerbook but the problems I had getting ANYTHING to work properly made me revert back to tiger. If you're just using it for minimal things it should be fine though.

Sorry, thats about the only advice I can offer. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can chime in.

tgalati4
January 23rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
True, some older powerbooks had 650 MB CDROM's so if you use a 700 MB disk with a 688 MB image, then you will run into problems. I could never get Ubuntu to run as smooth as Tiger on this older hardware. Touchpad was jerky, graphics would flicker, just annoying to use.

Has anyone gotten a recent Ubuntu (or ANY linux distro) running well on a G4 powerbook?

dragon2600
January 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
I'm pretty sure the cd works, I can do a full install from the alt. install cd but then on reboot I get the orange screen, also it boots into the cd and I can type commands like "live-powerpc". As for going back to osx I don't really think that's an option this machine I got second hand with no CDs and the only thing I can find is from the "bay of pirates" so I've burnt a copy 3 CDs it boots from the 1st loads and then tells me I need to restart my machine which is why I went down the Ubuntu option.