PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get Ubuntu, No PassWord So No Ubuntu

NightStarTigra
January 21st, 2013, 10:49 PM
Have HP pavilion slimline s3320f PC not sure if its 64 or 32 bit thats prob. 1 (it is possible the bios is passwd protected also)

the comp. is passwd protected by the person that was supposed to fix it 4 me they dissappeared an took the flash drive with all the drivers

Prob. 2 Orig. this comp had vista Home Premium OEMAct Hp
Now has Vista Ultimate (passwd protected from setup)

Prob. 3 I found a couple disks that say vista ultimate so I tried to reinstall and deleted a partition not the HP on the factory whatever 1. Dont knw if thats a prob. but now I have an unallocated spot. And this is the point at which I found out there were no drivers on the dvd's an that the flash drive is gone. I have no clue what drivers to get but cant install much if anything due to passwd prob.

Prob. 4 It was suggested I try ubuntu but Im having several problems cuz I cant do alot because of the password protected problem like get ubuntu burned to cd or dwnld xchat or practactly everything I try I get so far an run into snag

Prob. 5 No I cant ask her no1 seems to know where she went.

Prob. 6 cant log onto most site an various other probs. cuz of some sys. error that caused the sys. date and time to reset back to date of january 1 07 lol so most certificuts dont exist, etc..

The easiest fix : 1)Some1 come over here with a oem copy of Vista home premium I have the key. But back to earth

2)wipe out the password

3)Get new Os but dont have access to another computer
so everything I do I have to do on this comp. the write down the instructions I cant even hook up printer passwd prob. lol

I can be more specific but just ask this is already a Novel syi-fi Im thinkin

TY in advance esp. for reading U think Ur confused try what Im goin through. :confused:

Thee
January 22nd, 2013, 01:22 AM
Ok... what you have written here is very confusing.

It sounds like you have a password on your BIOS. Is that correct?

What OS do you want to install Vista or Ubuntu? And what happens when you try to install?

NightStarTigra
January 22nd, 2013, 01:49 AM
Well I dont know if I have a password on the bios but their is the Administrator 1 when she set up vista ultimate

I prefer vista home premium oemact HP not positive on the bits, 64 or 32, because as U can see I dont have a clue abt comp. and that is what was orig. on here and I have the product key

but I cant find a copy dont have money cant see where microsoft or HP offers the recovery disks cant find online esp. a download

cant torrent cuz of the password cant get the programs and or install anything so I can do anything cuz of the password
only way to get rid of the password is a clean install which I started thats when I found out my flash drive is also gone it had all the drivers etc... I wouldnt have a clue what drivers I need and somethings I can get but I cant install anything cuz of the password

I dont know if Ubuntu will work but doesnt matter cuz I cant get the programs to burn it as my comp is vista ultimate

I may not be able to fix it without finding a copy of the orginal

Lightning Dragon
January 22nd, 2013, 02:14 AM
Hello,

Usually resetting CMOS (I believe that is the name of it) blanks out the password on the BIOS. However, it looks like you just cannot get into Windows because the user's password is unknown. You could create a reset password disc for the computer, but that is out of the option since you are locked out. The only thing I can suggest is METHOD THREE and ONLY METHOD THREE on this link;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

It would probably be better checking out the official site, though.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Other than that, you would just have to reinstall sadly.

Petro Dawg
January 22nd, 2013, 02:59 AM
Just to make sure I understand your situation: you are able to log on to windows as a "Guest", but not able to install programs due to the administrator password issue, is that correct?

And, you are not able to do an HP factory reset because of a locked Bios, is that correct? Try to access the Bios settings at start up and find that out for sure.

If you are able to access windows as a Guest, can you download a file from the web? (notice I didn't say install a file)

Also, I believe a Bios password can often be removed by removing the motherboard battery (unplug it first, of course), if you are comfortable with trying such.

NightStarTigra
January 22nd, 2013, 03:33 AM
I can download but some sites I cant even get to cuz of the sys. date and time error I cant reset cuz of Administrator password problem Actually considering I can do alot just not what I need to do of course

If I cant find a way to get rid of the password its possible that I have the Vista Ultimate disks she used but no drivers Im not sure what to get

NightStarTigra
January 22nd, 2013, 03:41 AM
Sure Ill remove a battery but will I need any thing at all to make the comp. work after I put it back in

At this point Ill do anything :twisted:

Petro Dawg
January 22nd, 2013, 03:59 AM
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/

NightStarTigra
January 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM
ok now before I make things worse Im not sure this is bios it goes to the screen where I choose which desktop I want I have to choose user cuz no password I think its the login password (Administrator) ie OS which is currently vista ultimate thats what she loaded and changed

Lightning Dragon
January 22nd, 2013, 04:46 AM
Hello,

That isn't the BIOS, that is the boot screen. If you have the manual for the computer, see what keyboard input you need to push lets you get into BIOS. However, I believe it would be F10 or F1 for your PC. Press them (you might have to keep pressing them until the BIOS appears) at start up (or AFTER the Hewlett-Packard logo screen) and you should be brought into the BIOS, which should look like this somewhat;

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/141/c02704674.gif

Note: PLEASE IGNORE THE BLACK BOX IN THE IMAGE. THIS IS JUST FOR REFERENCE OF WHAT A BIOS SHOULD LOOK LIKE.

NightStarTigra
January 22nd, 2013, 06:12 AM
K I can get into that no problem my prob. is when I want to log on to desktop or say install a program or reset my system date and time which is reset to factory 1/1/07 its the Admin. password I have to use a user acct

Thee
January 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
So your problem is password on Vista account. And you don't want to re-install because you can't find your USB flash drive with the drivers?
Unless you have some specific hardware, I'm sure that Vista will recognise all your hardware and install the drivers automatically. And it is very easy to find the drivers you need if it doesn't find them automatically. So I suggest you do that.

Alternatively, try this to reset your password:

In Windows Vista there is a hidden account called Administrator which does not show up on the login screen but it is always available for use if required. If you didn't change this Administrator's password, the password is empty by default. You can boot up in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 when your computer starts) and log on with the built-in Administrator account. After getting into Windows, you can reset any Vista account password easily!

source:
http://www.top-password.com/knowledge/reset-windows-vista-password.html

NightStarTigra
January 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Hello every1 well still the same probs. but at least now its starting to crash again lol

I tried the cmos battery and cleaned my pc what a mess I tried the reset admin. password by safe mode it doesnt give me that option this could have something to do with the fact that I deleated that partition or I still think beside passwd prob.,this isnt authentic software I serously cant even work around the get ubuntu I cant upgrade to windows 7 or 8.
I cant even download the program to see if my pc is compatable with say windows 7 cuz of the passwd prob. at this point I am going to have to buy a windows 7 I hear 8 sucks but is cheap and would get me going the windows Vista is $100.00 more than 7 and $150 more than windows 8
So If any1 has any more ideas leme know Ill try but so far Im stuck

Thank You Every1 Who has read and responded it is very appriciated\\:D/

Petro Dawg
January 24th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Hello every1 well still the same probs. but at least now its starting to crash again lol

I tried the cmos battery and cleaned my pc what a mess I tried the reset admin. password by safe mode it doesnt give me that option this could have something to do with the fact that I deleated that partition or I still think beside passwd prob.,this isnt authentic software I serously cant even work around the get ubuntu I cant upgrade to windows 7 or 8.
I cant even download the program to see if my pc is compatable with say windows 7 cuz of the passwd prob. at this point I am going to have to buy a windows 7 I hear 8 sucks but is cheap and would get me going the windows Vista is $100.00 more than 7 and $150 more than windows 8
So If any1 has any more ideas leme know Ill try but so far Im stuck

Thank You Every1 Who has read and responded it is very appriciated\\:D/

Ok, if you really must buy an operating system CD/DVD because you cannot burn one due to the password issue, then why not just buy the Ubuntu 12.04 CD from the Canonical Store (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=976) for $7.99 and just do a full system Ubuntu install. At least with Ubuntu, you won't have to worry much about the drivers you no longer have.

NightStarTigra
January 26th, 2013, 07:56 AM
TY Dawg thats great option so where do I buy it walmart? I cant submit orders to some web sites cuz of the passwd prob and the date time prob. I knw what a mess :)

Petro Dawg
January 26th, 2013, 05:27 PM
TY Dawg thats great option so where do I buy it walmart? I cant submit orders to some web sites cuz of the passwd prob and the date time prob. I knw what a mess :)

I think Walmart sells a book called "Linux for Dummies" which comes with Fedora. But I'd hate to buy a book you don't need, for an OS that you'll just replace once you get Ubuntu downloaded. Unless you really like Fedora (as some people do).

Your best bet is probably a book store (Barnes & Noble for example), you can probably find an Ubuntu book with a live cd, like this one (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ubuntu-made-easy-rickford-grant/1111684289?ean=9781593274252). You may find having a reference book handy as well.

It surprisingly difficult to find Linux in computer stores, I think mostly they because they make more money selling anti-virus and security software.

black veils
January 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM
http://www.osdisc.com/support/mail.html

you will probably want this operating system instead of Ubuntu http://www.osdisc.com/products/livecd/xubuntu/xubuntu-12041-lts-install-live-cd-pc.html because it is lighter (yet functional), familiar and easy to use.

maybe this will get you somewhere.. or you could use a friend/family member's computer to download and create a bootable usb stick or cd/dvd. you can use infra recorder to burn a disc, or unetbootin for usb stick. it will use 700mb or so of their internet though.

your computer may not be compatible enough with linux, but if you want to try, there are options.

Petro Dawg
January 26th, 2013, 05:51 PM
http://www.osdisc.com/support/mail.html

you will probably want this operating system instead of Ubuntu http://www.osdisc.com/products/livecd/xubuntu/xubuntu-12041-lts-install-live-cd-pc.html because it is lighter (yet functional), familiar and easy to use.

maybe this will get you somewhere.. or you could use a friend/family member's computer to download and create a bootable usb stick or cd/dvd. you can use infra recorder to burn a disc, or unetbootin for usb stick. it will use 700mb or so of their internet though.

your computer may not be compatible enough with linux, but if you want to try, there are options.

Good suggestion, you can also start downloading other Ubuntu variants once you have Xubuntu running to try them out and see which you like most. It should also be said that Ubuntu 12.04 does have a 2D option (which I happen to use) which is easier on resources if your computer doesn't run Ubuntu well.

Just be sure to buy a long term support version (LTS) of whatever you decide to get, you can always upgrade up to 12.10 (for example) or greater after you have 12.04 LTS installed.

JKyleOKC
January 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM
And since the date problem may keep you from being able to get to the "checkout" stage at OSDisc, here's the address for their "contact us" page: http://www.osdisc.com/support

If you're in the USA, you can call them and place your order over the phone with a credit card. While I've not used their service, it looks like a good place to know about!

EDIT: Here's something they offer that might be even more useful: http://www.osdisc.com/products/usb/xubuntu/xubuntu-12041-lts-8gb-usb-flash-drive-pc.html

Warning: I've not tried it nor have I dealt with them directly; this just seems that it might be easier for you to use...

NightStarTigra
January 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
TY Again Every1!:KS

I'll give it a shot, unfortunatly I was hoping to be cheap as no money till 1st. but I'll give it a try after the 1st.
I really appriciate all the help and ideas very much, sorry its such a messed up problem. I need to post all of this in a Dont let others fix Ur comp. section, no matter how stupid U think U are. lol
And I want to ESPECIALLY THANK THE UBUNTU COMMUNITY!

For: Not kicking me off or closing my posts due to the fact I feel that I may not be running a legal copy at this moment. Again I do not know for a fact its illegal cant check cuz of the password problem. But several sites I have asked for help and ideas the moderators have closed my question. I have stated over and over I did not do this and I dont know for sure.

In other words just the support, and understanding of this Community is the best motivation for switching to Ubuntu

Again TY! =D>

Petro Dawg
January 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM
TY Again Every1!:KS

I'll give it a shot, unfortunatly I was hoping to be cheap as no money till 1st. but I'll give it a try after the 1st.
I really appriciate all the help and ideas very much, sorry its such a messed up problem. I need to post all of this in a Dont let others fix Ur comp. section, no matter how stupid U think U are. lol
And I want to ESPECIALLY THANK THE UBUNTU COMMUNITY!

For: Not kicking me off or closing my posts due to the fact I feel that I may not be running a legal copy at this moment. Again I do not know for a fact its illegal cant check cuz of the password problem. But several sites I have asked for help and ideas the moderators have closed my question. I have stated over and over I did not do this and I dont know for sure.

In other words just the support, and understanding of this Community is the best motivation for switching to Ubuntu

Again TY! =D>

You might also try a public library, they may have Linux DVDs/CDs that you can check out, but I expect it varies a lot from library to library.