PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank Terminal After Update

amtur_poet
January 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM
I recently installed some updates to my laptop running Ubuntu 12.10, as well as installed a proprietary driver for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M 3D graphics card I have in my Toshiba Qosmio X775-3DV78 laptop. I did so via the Restricted Drivers application that used to come with Ubuntu. But, after installing these updates, after selecting Ubuntu from the Grub menu on boot (I have it dual-booted with Win8), all I see is a blinking text prompt that never leaves. My keyboard does nothing, and neither does any other button on my machine, save for the power button, which does run the standard shutdown text. What can I do to fix this?

gordintoronto
January 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM
Additional Drivers is now part of "software sources".

If you boot into recovery mode and run this command, it might get you going again:
sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-current

amtur_poet
January 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Additional Drivers is now part of "software sources".

If you boot into recovery mode and run this command, it might get you going again:
sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-current
When I try that, it tells me it cannot write to /var/cache/apt.

raja.genupula
January 25th, 2013, 04:37 PM
There you have to remove the lock file.but proper and complete solution we can give you if you give us the full details.

amtur_poet
January 25th, 2013, 05:19 PM
There you have to remove the lock file.but proper and complete solution we can give you if you give us the full details.
Sure; what do you need to know?

sandyd
January 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
moved to installations and upgrades

amtur_poet
January 25th, 2013, 06:58 PM
So, what do I need to do?

amtur_poet
January 25th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Oh dear God, help me! I tried to reinstall Ubuntu over the old partition, but when I try to boot my laptop, it says this:
http://i.imgur.com/mDCC4yi.jpg

raja.genupula
January 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Ok its your GRUB . put the primary boot partition as your bootable device.