PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk Space problem

raunhar
January 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM
I had alloted 12GB to Ubuntu on my laptop. This was done about three years ago.
Now only 1.5GB is left.
I have all the files in other disk. The drive with Ubuntu has only the basic softwares.

While upgrading, low disk space error was continously popping up.
How do i create more space.

whatthefunk
January 21st, 2013, 01:17 PM
Before doing anything, I would first backup your important data.

Have you ever used BleachBit? It does a pretty good job of cleaning old un-needed packages and clearing out space. If youve never run it and have had the same install for three years, I bet you can clear up quite a lot.

You also might want to try to see where the 10.5 GB is. You can use xdiskusage for this.

Both programs are in the software center.

Bucky Ball
January 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
Insert the LiveCD, launch Gparted when you get to the desktop, right click and unmount all partitions if they aren't already, shrink the partition next to the Ubuntu partition (/) and expand the Ubuntu partition (/) into the free space you have created.

If all your personal data is on another disk then you should be fine.

ajgreeny
January 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
If all your figures are correct, you have a problem of some sort which needs looking into.

However before doing anything, more details are needed.

Is this a partitioned installation or carried out using wubi, ie, inside a windows installation?
How long has it been installed for; the longer you have been using it the longer time there has been for some of the system folders, such as /var, to fill up. However, 12GB should be enough for most uses. I have a 10.04 system with the root partition which is the equivalent of your 12GB, managing perfectly in 10GB, and it still only takes 4.6GB of that 10 after nearly three years.
Can you show us the output of
sudo fdisk -land
df -hTone by one.
What extra packages have you installed, or has it mainly been upgrades?