PDA

View Full Version : this is just so uncool

mystmaiden
January 21st, 2013, 04:50 AM
I sat down just now to see if I could get my funky old aiptek tablet working on my laptop (for which I need to install the aiptek drivers) sure enough I can Not remember my password. The most annoying part is that I can remember the password for windows xp which is on the same computer. Arrgh.

I am now officially the little person in that animated graphic repeatedly banging my head on the screen....

Gremlinzzz
January 21st, 2013, 05:35 PM
:popcorn: How To Successfully Guess Your Own Passwords
Tips to Help You Remember Forgotten Passwords!

Unless your password was randomly generated, it's probably locked away in your mind somewhere. Brute force memory retrieval (i.e. "thinking really hard") isn't usually very effective so what can you do to try to remember what your password was?

Easy! You need clues! Most people create passwords, even complicated ones, based on the people, places and things in their personal and professional lives. Knowing this, check out the clues below. They might give you enough edge to finally remember that password!

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/qt/guesspassword.htm

:popcorn:Good Luck

mystmaiden
January 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM

I do try to make sure that there is something I associate with the passwords I use so this won't happen and I can usually remember passwords really well. For some reason this one simply exited my mind. I was so completely annoyed with myself over this!

cariboo
January 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
You could always just boot in recovery mode, and create a new password for your user.

cbennett926
January 22nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
I don't wanna get this thread shutdown or get in any kind of trouble buuut,

look up a thing called a rainbow table

That is all ;)

sudodus
January 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM

I do try to make sure that there is something I associate with the passwords I use so this won't happen and I can usually remember passwords really well. For some reason this one simply exited my mind. I was so completely annoyed with myself over this!
You can reset your password (and afterwards enter a new one). See this link

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword)

mike acker
January 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
I don't wanna get this thread shutdown or get in any kind of trouble buuut,

look up a thing called a rainbow table

That is all ;)

every hacker and half of ordinary computer users know what rainbow table are by now . the way to defeat these is to get this in the open so everybody knows about them

Generally : a "Rainbow Table" works against a service that has been using a weak hash algorithm, particularly un-salted MD5 . It's just a list of guesses to try .

the critical thing in passwords is that the "three strikes and out" rule should be enforced -- to stop attackers from using a computer-driven guessing system . or enforce Delay of Game after Strike 3 -- like Novell used to . *

help-desks should then be automated such that you can get a new, 1-time password sent to your e/mail OF RECORD . Ideally they would use ENIGMAIL for this but if the 1-time password has a short expiration life it's pretty good .

Google is preaching tokens, again . remember though, RSA was selling tokens -- and they got hacked . via a simple phishing e/mail . the message has an attached .xls file with a flash object in cell A1 . the attack succeeded because the idiots were still using XP .

knowlege is power . and the more we restrict knowlege to hackers the more power we accord them .
~~~~~
* Amendment
Security consists of
1. Prevention
2. Detection
3. Response

When a log on fails there should be a notification -- to the owner and to the System Administrator . This is the "detection" element. Response can be what you want ..... [ recommendation for procedure from the Old West --- deleted, not politically correct ]

sffvba[e0rt
January 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
http://brightsidetie-dyes.com/images/tablecloth-rb.jpg

I have no idea how this is supposed to help but then again I know very little...