PDA

View Full Version : Poll for a REAL Evernote Client in Linux

tgalati4
January 20th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I use Evernote, and I like it. It works well on my Android phone and the web client is OK, but I want a REAL Evernote Client in Linux. Who is with me?

Extensive discussion is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102601

But feel free to comment and vote!

speartip
January 20th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I don't use it personally.
But isn't this the type of thing you're looking for.
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/evernote-linux-client-everpad-available.html

edit.... Sorry just noticed it's already included in your poll.

cariboo
January 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support thread.

sprintexec
February 24th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I recently bought a Nexus 7 and started to use Evernote on that device. I want to be able to access my notes across all devices. My Samsung phone also supports Evernote. As Android is a version of Linux it can't be asking too much of the people at Evernote to give us what we need surely?

Thanks for starting the poll.

carla2013
February 25th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I voted "Existing Linux options are OK--nixnote, nevernote, everpad."
Surprisingly, besides me, just one person voted the same.

Roasted
February 26th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Everpad is about to send me into a rage fit. It synced my notes one time, and then I edited some notes on the web interface. Even syncing Everpad after that doesn't pull down the new changes. I decided to uninstall Everpad and reinstall it, nothing. I removed .everpad, nothing. This software is insanely unreliable.

Check me off on the "Yes, we absolutely flipping need a real Evernote client" option.

EDIT - Isn't that cute. Restarting my laptop made Everpad begin working. I can't recall a time where a Linux application specifically needed a restart to get going, but meh. It works. I still retain my "we need an Evernote client for Linux" opinion though. ;)

EDIT II - I'm seeing a pattern now. If I delete a note from the Evernote web interface, it won't sync down to my Linux machine as that note being deleted. So when I just cleaned up my notes online and consolidated them from 50 notes to 15 notes, Everpad still had 50 notes. Is this clearly odd behavior for some reason expected?

EDIT III - It seems as if some notes I create locally and then sync never show up on the web interface of Evernote. Yeah, we definitely need a real Evernote client...

mamamia88
February 26th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Would kill to have this somehow tied to the xfcr notes plugin. That would be so awesome

tgalati4
February 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks to all for your comments, experiences, and recommendations. When this poll closes in a few weeks, I will forward the link to the evernote folks and see if we can get some developer traction.

The impression that I am getting is that "light" users can get by with the existing options, but more advanced users--with lots of notes and lots of syncing really need a native client that works reliably and quickly. It's like a pen that constantly runs out of ink--frustrating.

Thanks again.

Bashing-om
February 26th, 2013, 10:26 PM
In today's mobile society, the ability to retrieve one's data from a variety of sources is of paramount importance.

in my humblest of opinions

mamamia88
February 26th, 2013, 10:33 PM
In today's mobile society, the ability to retrieve one's data from a variety of sources is of paramount importance.

in my humblest of opinions

Agreed. I have a nexus 7 and android phone. I like to jot down ideas quickly. Sometimes I think of ways to expand upon the ideal while sitting at my desk. I like how nicely the xfce note app fits into my work flow but it would be nice if I didn't need 2 separate note programs. I tried nevernote a few minutes ago and didn't care for it because the interface wasn't as nice as in browser or on android. Will give everpad a shot shortly. Nevermind everpad seems geared towards unity and ubuntu and i use debian with xfce. Any reccomendations for an evernote client. Or a better app than evernote for simple text notes that integrates well with xfce?

tgalati4
February 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I really like zim for notes. Perhaps adding the ability to sync designated notebooks (in zim) to the evernote service would be useful.

tgalati4
March 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Bump. Shameless plug to get more votes in this poll before it closes on 21 March. I will forward to evernote developers to try to get more traction on getting an evernote client that works correctly and consistently under linux.

darkcrimson
March 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
I never really cared for Evernote and I have no idea why...hehe.
I think it would only be beneficial to Linux if it were available, however, given it's largely growing popularity among computer users.

Lifehacker writer Melanie Pinola wrote this article regarding Evernote (http://lifehacker.com/5964285/whats-all-the-fuss-about-evernote-why-do-people-use-it) - Those who love it and those who hate it (or don't understand why everyone loves Evernote). I personally struggled to get into it, but eventually submitted to other solutions. I will say that I at least understand it's purpose and think if you really love it, it should be available on Linux.

I guess therefore, I strongly support an Evernote client in Linux? :D

itrogers
March 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
Evernote user here on Lubuntu. Is there a specific reason why the web app doesn't suffice? I use it for everything...

tgalati4
March 3rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
I agree, the web client satisfies my light use of evernote, but as others have noted, when you get into the more sophisticated and daily use of evernote across several devices, the native Windows or Mac client is much better than the web client. I also agree with darkcrimson's observation--what's the big deal? Well, there are some devout evernote users, and they use it for all sorts of reasons as outlined in the LifeHacker article. If you are clever, you can use emacs to take notes and syncronize those notes using UbuntuOne or DropBox, or even better, your own personal cloud service. Have you tried to use emacs on a smart phone--without a keyboard?

I think we can agree that linux has punched through the 1% barrier. I've seen several references that show linux is running at 2% for desktop market penetration. So if we want 2013 to be the Year of Linux on the Desktop, we need a real Evernote desktop client.

darkcrimson
March 4th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Move your emacs dotfile into Ubuntu One and create a symlink. Voila. Evernote. hehe jk.

lluisanunez
May 8th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evernote user here on Lubuntu. Is there a specific reason why the web app doesn't suffice? I use it for everything...
I'm using Evernote web too... but I need the 'link' feature: links to other notes. I've been needing it since I left TomBoy (I left TomBoy because it lacked a proper android client). Only the Evernote desktop client has them. And neither Everpad not Nevernote do...
So, I can't vote for it now 'cos it's closed, but for what is worth:
I WANT A REAL EVERNOTE CLIENT FOR LINUX!!!

tgalati4
May 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I've been busy on other projects, but I will soon push this thread on to the evernote developers to see if we can get any traction on getting a real evernote client for linux. I use zim for internal notes and it has decent note-linking. I also run zim on an internal server, so I can bring up the same notebook on several computers within my LAN. I have not used it with UbuntuOne or Dropbox, but I imagine it would work as well for WAN notes.

Docaltmed
May 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
What makes Nixnote not "real?" I've been using it for quite some time, seems to work. Seems to be a bit insulting to the developer to say that it isn't "real."

Bean7
May 9th, 2013, 03:45 AM
absolutely they have to release a Linux client ASAP

sabret00the
September 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
It's a big shame there isn't an official client?

tgalati4
September 10th, 2013, 02:33 AM
I have posted a link to this thread on the evernote forums, but repeatedly, the developers have stated that they are not interested in supporting linux. Nixnote is a decent solution, but it does not offer audio or video notes like the native Windows or Mac clients.

I continue to use zim on a locally-shared directory, and I have zim launchers on each computer to pick up the file share, so I have my notes in one place, but accessible on every machine on my LAN. For any notes I need in the field or on my phone, I use Nixnote to push them up to evernote or use the evernote web client. Having an evernote plug-in for zim would be helpful as well.