PDA

View Full Version : What Ubuntu-capable apps do you want on your phone?

julianb
January 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hi everybody! I have a Nexus 4 which I installed Ubuntu (core) and LXDE on. I got myself a keyboard and an HDMI projector (to use as a monitor) intending to allow the Nexus to act as a full fledged Ubuntu computer.

The apps I am most interested in running are the various Libreoffice apps. I may also run the Java web browser plugin. Other than that, android apps are serving my needs pretty well.

In a world where you can add a monitor and keyboard to your phone and run Ubuntu-compatible apps of your choice... giving you the option of using a smartphone as a regular desktop computer... what would you want to install?

Nr90
January 21st, 2013, 07:07 PM
vim, code::blocks, compilers(obviously), skype, spotify

Schnappi1989
January 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
As feasible, I would be very happy! But my phone does not support this application! So sad!

julianb
January 23rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
I would gladly use the desktop versions of Skype and Spotify, but unfortunately they aren't compiled for ARM and are not open source. Can't get them on Ubuntu on android unless you happen to be able to run Intel/ i586 software. In the future we may be able to get them to compile Ubuntu ARM versions though.

lads
January 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM
In a phone form factor, the apps I see myself using the most are:

PDF reader with annotation functionality (e.g. Evince)
Note taking with remote synch (e.g. Tomboy)
Text editor with proper colouring (e.g. Gedit)
A Chess program for killing time (e.g. GNUchess, PyChess)
A weather indicator that works (don't know any)

Apart from the usual suspects for the internet, although I don't think these need mentioning.

lads
January 24th, 2013, 02:29 PM
And I'd also add a feed reader like Liferea.

coldraven
January 24th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Artha, because my grammar is not so good and it is also a great crossword solver.

Schnappi1989
January 28th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Is this game fun? I have the opportunity to try