PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New build, nothing but problems. Errno 5, canīt use radeon driver

Nymunariya
January 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I know this errno has been posted elsewhere, but the thread has been marked solved, and I still have the issue, along with other issues and I donīt know what to do. (I also donīt know if this is the right place to post. It seemed to be a problem during installation ...)

I built a computer. AMD Phenom II 945, ASRock 990fx Professional, Corsair CL9 2x4GB ram, Saphire 6570 4GB DDR3.

I can boot into ubuntu without a problem, (half the time. The other half, apps on the live cd fail to launch) but Iīve also never had as many error reports. Itīs been nothing but error reports the entire time (hardware problems?), wether installing or just using the live cd.

During installation, I get the errno 5, and Iīve tried the ubiquity --no-migration-assistant (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1910258), but the error still comes up. When getting more info, itīs a SquashFS error, and on the (Squashfserrors ubuntuwiki page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquashfsErrors) it said bad memory. Bad cd/dvd (running from flash), bad iso (checksum was good), bad cable (using back panel)

Ran memtest86+ on the ubuntu live cd, and got about 10000 errors per minute. So bad ram ?

I ddīd the iso onto a flash drive, so that should all be in order. And Iīve only gotten the isoīs from ubuntu.com. Tried 12.10, 12.04, and Elementary OS (12.04). I have been able to install from the iso on my macbook air without a problem.

Iīm really in over my head here and I donīt know what to do. I donīt have money to send back/get new ram until the end of the month.

Thanks.

(I also have a problem with the radeon drivers. Should I put that here too, or better in another subforum?)

darkod
January 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Well, if memtest says your ram has errors, why would you doubt it? If you have two or more modules, I would take them out and check them one by one. Maybe only one is bad.

Until you get the ram sorted out, don't bother with anything else since other errors can easily be a result of the ram problem because everything goes through ram.

Nymunariya
January 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I only have my two sticks, but I donīt have the money to do anything about it until the end of the month =( Iīm not doubting it ... I just canīt really do anything about the physical side right now.

But Iīll definetly try each stick separately. Better than nothing.

Mark Phelps
January 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
(I also have a problem with the radeon drivers. Should I put that here too, or better in another subforum?)

Recent Ubuntu versions come with very good default Radeon drivers. I've been using them for a while now and have no problems with them -- dual monitors, different sizes, full resolution on each.

Unless you're demanding hardware accelerated 3D graphics, or you need to control the GPU temps, you don't really need the fglrx drivers -- and with 12.10, they have shown to be a lot of problems.

I would go back to the default Radeon drivers (once you get the memory failures solved) and see how well those behave.

Nymunariya
January 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Recent Ubuntu versions come with very good default Radeon drivers. I've been using them for a while now and have no problems with them -- dual monitors, different sizes, full resolution on each.

Unless you're demanding hardware accelerated 3D graphics, or you need to control the GPU temps, you don't really need the fglrx drivers -- and with 12.10, they have shown to be a lot of problems.

I would go back to the default Radeon drivers (once you get the memory failures solved) and see how well those behave.

well it was only one bad stick of ram. Got that out and everything is running fine.

As for the radeon drivers, they still wonīt go. Iīm wondering if itīs something to do with kernel modsettings, and not being able to use it? *Shrugs*

joel@parke.ods.org
January 21st, 2013, 12:11 AM
Many memory sticks have a LONG warranty -- check that out. I usually buy from NewEgg and I have had very good support in replacement memory when I had one bad stick ~ 3 years ago. Hope this helps... maybe you don't have to wait to the end of the month.

darkod
January 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Many memory sticks have a LONG warranty -- check that out. I usually buy from NewEgg and I have had very good support in replacement memory when I had one bad stick ~ 3 years ago. Hope this helps... maybe you don't have to wait to the end of the month.

I agree. Definitely check that, some even have lifetime warranty. Even if the shop/website where you bought it gives you like 1-2 years of warranty, if the manufacturer offers lifetime you can usually do a RMA process directly on their website.