PDA

View Full Version : [other] getting modules in E17 (0.17.0)

jhoo
January 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
[did see a previous topic closely related but it was marked "Solved" so ...]

Using a fresh Lubuntu install (12.10), wanted to give E17 a serious try (had already gone the Bodhi and Elive routes but aborted for various reasons). Installed E17 via ppa:efl/trunk. Logging into E17 was fairly smooth -- there was an empty menu issue that needed solving -- but the cupboards are pretty bare: no bling!

So the question: is there a repository for the E17 modules -- Engage in particular -- other than ppa:hannes-janetzek which I understand to be bleeding edge "use at your own risk" stuff?

Frogs Hair
January 21st, 2013, 01:00 AM
The hannes-janetzek PPA is the only way I was able to get the full selection of modules. The merlwiz79 PPA worked but has been inactive for over a year.

jhoo
January 21st, 2013, 01:54 AM
Fair enough, thank you for the reply.

OOC any significant downside to using the hannes-janetzek PPA? I see you post a fair bit re: E17 so I reckon you'd know.

Frogs Hair
January 21st, 2013, 02:40 AM
Occasionally there is a broken package but it is a very active PPA so just be patient until next update. The PPA worked well for me but finding matching themes for GTK 3 apps can be a problem but I found a few that were very close.

jhoo
January 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
So far I'm doing pretty well with E17 in Lubuntu. Firefox and Thunderbird suck resources like there is no tomorrow but that's nothing new, just seems somewhat worse under E.

Gotta say: I love E! I'm thinking of trying it on a stripped-down distro like AntiX or #! or somesuch, when I have the time. For now though I'm pretty much joined to the *Buntu umbilical cord (too much of a Linux noob to step out into the fray). Bummer that Bodhi was crashy, could have been sweet.