PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one terrified of dban?

randywolf244
January 20th, 2013, 04:53 AM
seriously, one of my buddies thought i was insane cause i didnt want a dban loaded pendrive anywhere near my computer

Gremlinzzz
January 20th, 2013, 04:59 AM
:popcorn: Did you want to clean the drives?
been using dban for years good program.

lykwydchykyn
January 20th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I won't post the commands since it's against CoC, but there are numerous ways to do exactly what dban does from a root terminal. So, you might want to fear having linux on your box too.

kutu62
January 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
why are you terrified? DBAN works great.. we use it to wipe computer hard drive at work all of the time.. it simple writes 0's and 1's down the hard drive until it has written over ever sector..

coldcritter64
January 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
seriously, one of my buddies thought i was insane cause i didnt want a dban loaded pendrive anywhere near my computer

If dban was the only tool on the pendrive, like a live cd version similar to gparted live, AND you didn't need to wipe a partition or the whole drive, imo your reaction is fair enough.

OTOH, as lykwydchykyn notes if you are scared of dban DON'T open a terminal and use either dd or shred, the damage they can POSSIBLY do is pretty much the same as DBAN would do. dd isn't often nicknamed "data destroyer" on Linux sites for no reason. :)