PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever broken something trying to fix a minor annoyance?

KrisInfinity
January 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Have you ever broken something entirely trying to fix a minor annoyance?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
yep, and broken stuff worse than it was broken

ajgreeny
January 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Haven't we all? If you haven't broken it, you aren't trying hard enough!

I looked to see if the xorg-edgers ppa would improve my systems graphics, so I updated the system using the ppa, logged out and tried to login again. Unfortunately, I could not even get to a cli login screen without going to recovery mode, so using that I had to remove all of xorg plus its dependencies and disable the ppa then reinstall all of xorg again.

Thank goodness for the Linux command line!

Just make sure you have a pathway back to where you came from, and it will not matter how much you break things.

sffvba[e0rt
January 19th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Sure, that is why I burnt an ISO to disc so I can easily re-install :p

deadflowr
January 19th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I break stuff all the time, sometimes accidentally.
I break stuff both physically and virtually.
Most things from time to time annoy me, so I'm often going the route of utter overkill, which normally causes severe breakage. I prefer it that way, and am somewhat disappointed when what I've done still works.
In terms of something like an OS, it is nice to have backup and the fact that Ubuntu and other distros are quick to reinstall make me even more want to throw caution to the wind.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 19th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Of course, that is why I like using virtual machines. If it gets messed up, it can be redeployed from an earlier snapshot.

KdotJ
January 19th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I know I have...

I feel this is true in all walks of life and not just in the computer world. For example, I recently tried to fix a door frame and ended up doing more damage

sunfromhere
January 19th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Yes, the entire GUI, trying to remove the chat indicators on the panel. Had to reinstall, messed up big time. Still haven't found a way to remove those indicators.

Bandit
January 20th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Haven't we all? If you haven't broken it, you aren't trying hard enough!

QFT!! ):P

Back in the day editing your XFree86.Conf file was a challenge when trying to program (experiment) your mode lines to get faster refresh or higher resolution out of your CRTs.

randywolf244
January 20th, 2013, 04:55 AM
dude i used to keep a pendrive installed with xubuntu sitting in my desk drawer just cause when i first started learning to use it i was messing around trying to figure everything everything out and consistently once every couple weeks i would have to reload my os

Jakin
January 20th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Sometimes I break some electronics to see how they work, and to see if i can put it back together :guitar:

As far as breaking OS installations, well iv'e done that more times than i can count- but i was asking for it.

chadk5utc
January 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I have a driving passion for taking things apart, voiding warranties and discovering what makes technology work...
Used this line in my resume and people love it.

linuxcoffeelover
January 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Oh yes every couple months I will install a new distro to try it out, play with it and go oh this is great then about a week later have to reinstall it or break it fix it then try and break the next distro on the list. can't wait til I can start my build and have a machine that can run a fix VM's at once and play some games. but for the major breaks that is what the flash drive with slax 6 is for and it only takes up 200mb of space and has an option to load into ram at boot. its great then I can research the problem.