PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've gone and done it now!!

gw90se
March 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Gave my Windows box to my son. I am 100% Ubuntu! (At home, anyway. Still have to use Xp at work). Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions, whether directly or to someone else and I found it in a search. I am sure there will be more, too.

I did take his old HP with a P3 and upgraded it with more memory. Installed Hoary. So, I'll be busy reloading all again.

Thanks folks

And, as I have seen in someone signature line,,,,

Ubuntu ROCKS!!!!

bored2k
March 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Gave my Windows box to my son. I am 100% Ubuntu! (At home, anyway. Still have to use Xp at work). Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions, whether directly or to someone else and I found it in a search. I am sure there will be more, too.

I did take his old HP with a P3 and upgraded it with more memory. Installed Hoary. So, I'll be busy reloading all again.

Thanks folks

And, as I have seen in someone signature line,,,,

Ubuntu ROCKS!!!!
Great .

One more satisfied customer ; One less ******* slave [@ home] .

cdhotfire
March 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
darn, and i was about to take out my wip. :mad:

bigzak
March 20th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Gave my Windows box to my son. I am 100% Ubuntu! (At home, anyway. Still have to use Xp at work).

You're one better than me. Aside from XP I use at work (doesn't count), I'm only 50% Ubuntu: I'm still 50% Slackware! You can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a looooong time ;)

DJ_Max
March 20th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Gave my Windows box to my son. I am 100% Ubuntu!

<sarcasm>
And you gave your son a 'loaded' windows machine. :-s I for one, have no respect for such a cruel human being.
</sarcasm>
:-D

az
March 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Install Ubuntu on his computer, too.

If he really needs windows stuff, use wine.

(Get the newest ubuntu wine packages from the wine homepage winehq. Install wine and wintools.)

Winmx, Internet explorer with shockwave, lots of games... They all work.

defkewl
March 21st, 2005, 01:53 AM
I'm still downloading it. Wait for my testimonials too.

akurashy
March 21st, 2005, 02:53 AM
You should teach your son to use linux from now. :D *pats ubuntu*

LongTooth
March 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Glad to hear you've left the Dark Side and come into the Light. I"ve been Win Free since '99. And except for work (as others have said-that doesn't count) haven't log into a Win machine. My family is another question. They look at me and my Linux with distain. Oh well, can't win them all. But one of these days, they too will become True Believers.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
I did take his old HP with a P3 and upgraded it with more memory.

If there is one thing Ubuntu has taught me, its that the biggest hardware hype for computers this century-crazy fast clock speeds- make less of an improvement that RAM. Intel might want you to believe you need a P4 or what ever, but what you really need is a new memory stick in most cases.

gw90se
March 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM
My family is another question. They look at me and my Linux with distain. Oh well, can't win them all. But one of these days, they too will become True Believers.

I understand. My wife and son still use AOL. :-#

I still have a long row to hoe. ](*,)

node
March 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evil man, polluting your son's mind with Microsoft [-X :wink:

poofyhairguy
March 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
I understand. My wife and son still use AOL. :-#

Ahhhh...AOL. I love their commercials about people whinning because Viruses nuked their machine. A simple NAT firewall (combined with some updated winders) can defend from most viruses, but I bet 90%+ percent of the problems the people in the AOL commercials complain about come from malware instead.

AOL is just like a crutch. It holds you up if you can't by yourself, but it restricts your movement to the point that you are always the weakest animal in the food chain (and you know what darwin said about that).

bored2k
March 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
AOL is just like a crutch. It holds you up if you can't by yourself, but it restricts your movement to the point that you are always the weakest animal in the food chain (and you know what darwin said about that).

what is wrong with you people lol :?:

Kimm
March 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
well, I wish my family would just let go of Microsoft, my dad insists on running XP on all his computers (even though all he does by them is play cards and browse the internet...) is main argument is:

"Then I have to learn everything again"

yeah right... if you know how to press a button and use a mouse, about 5 console commands is all you need to learn, the rest can be done with a graphical interphase...

techmonkey
March 22nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
They don't know about it yet, but my parents' machine has just been de-microsoftified, thus making my entire home Linux-powered. (currently 100% Ubuntu, except for one Mandrake box I'm about to scrap. Not sure what I'll end up putting on it instead yet.)

But all they use their box for is online banking and word processing.

@Kimm:
Do a 'dummy' install of Ubuntu, and show him all the other kinds of card games you get along with solitaire; There are many cool things about Linux that make people want to switch. For some, it's xsnow, for others, it's 3ddeskd, or even frozen-bubble.

Others however, are swayed just the gnome-games package. :D