PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Outlook Express to Linux mbox

airjunman
July 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Now this is a real pain in the a$$, was at least.. I didn't find any place that told it clearly, so just put together what worked for me.. OE and MS Outlook store their mailboxes as .dbx files, one file for each mail folder(eg.:Inbox.dbx,Sent.dbx,etc.). Generally the path for those files on the Windows box is C:/Documents and Settings/uid/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/{1C46C658-5362-5463-8708-F215FD67238}/Microsoft/Outlook Express
where uid is your windows logon user id, and, the numbers are changed

On Linux you need to have KMail installed with a plugin called KMail CVT which lets you import OE mailboxes and convert them to the standard linux mbox files. Both can be got from the repositories by doing the following:

$ sudo apt-get install kmail
$ sudo apt-get install kmailcvt

You now need to import the necessary files:
Open KMail
File>Import Messages
This opens a dialog box which asks you to choose the program from which you want to import the mail
Click on the dropdown menu and choose "Import Outlook Express Emails"
Click "Next" and then choose the files
(You may have transferred the dbx to some place on your linux partition or else hopefully you'd have the drive containing it mounted so you can access it, in my case I just have my NTFS/Windows partitions mounted, which the latest Ubuntu does automatically.. Anyways you'd have to do one or the other) If it is mounted it could be at /media/hda6 which is to just give an example of how mine is. Also as an example the folder in Windows where the files generally are is: C:/Documents and Settings/uid/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/{1C46C658-5362-5463-8708-F215FD67238}/Microsoft/Outlook Express

Once you've chosen the folder, KMail downloads the mailbox and organises the folder structure as
Local Folder > OE Import > "foldername"(say Inbox)

Now all you do is go to each folder. Select all the mails in it by <Ctrl+A> and then click on File>Save as
This opens a box to choose where to save the file, choose the path and the filename. You can name the file anything(say example.mbox), unlike what I earlier assumed that you'd have to name it *.mbox, you can leave it without any extension.

Anyways you're done. If you want to use KMail as your mail client that is. I dont like it much, I prefer Opera Mail cos it has everything you want and not much more and the important functions have easy shortcuts. So, like me, if you use another mail client, you have one step more.

Open any program you want: Evolution or Opera Mail or Thunderbird or anything else that you use. Choose to import files of "generic mbox type" and choose the file you saved earlier(in our case example.mbox). You're good to go.

Let me know if I made any mistake cos I'm only a newbie anyways. Just trying to give back a lill. Hope it works n helps someone out there trying to make the transition from Windows to Linux/Ubuntu

airjunman
July 19th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Noone interested?

PingunZ
July 19th, 2006, 07:51 PM
very nice howto :KS

Grtz PingunZ

airjunman
July 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks PingunZ :)... Whats ur email client of choice in Linux though... I have a feeling Opera may be slowing my system down...

skirkpatrick
July 20th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Sorry, I used Thunderbird installed on Windows to import my OE data then copied the files over to my Linux Thunderbird.

airjunman
July 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Anything that works rite :)

mrdav1e
February 6th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I had a customer's OE data and she is converting to Ubuntu, imagine a 70+ year old converting!
Anyway, I had a hell of a time finding a way to convert.
This was a sweet method, couldn't have done it w/o you.
The only 'challenge' I had was finding the kmail program, it didn't install to the applications folder so I had to go to the filesystem/usr/bin and d-click on kmail. Not a big deal.
I went from oe to kmail to thunderbird with this method.
Sincerely,
Dave

airjunman
February 6th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Glad to be of help .. The forums in general do a great job of helping out.. cheers!

Roelski
April 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Great post! Finally found what I've been looking for for some time now.

1 addition: if you tend to import into Evolution, you'll have to choose the destination email folder (say "tree-level"). That means you'll have to prepare the tree manually BEFORE importing as it cannot be done while you're running the import wizzard.

One trick is in correctly naming the folders when you export them, e.g. 1-B-c-mailfoldername would mean "third level under second level under first level" under Inbox, a folder named "mailfoldername". This is pretty time-consuming if you have a lot of subfolder though it helps you structure your mailbox.

For the Gnome-adepts: I ran Kmail under Gnome without any probs.

Besides this, it works like a charm.

Roelski

JamesD-2007
July 3rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks, just what the Dr ordered. Recovered all of mother in laws 'Important Stuff' with this.

tracer2009
August 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
thanks just what i needed

yowshi
March 28th, 2008, 02:34 AM
grrr it doesnt actually seem to be saving them anywhere for me.

carloslosgrande
April 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks! Worked just fine for me

trondhuso
May 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Looks great and promissing. I'll try it when I get the time. One suggestion though. Maybe it is more than enough to run the Kbuntu Live CD to do this If you don't want to install KDE-packages in your Gnome enviornment that is.

Trond

gordonh
May 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I had a customer's OE data and she is converting to Ubuntu, imagine a 70+ year old converting!
The only 'challenge' I had was finding the kmail program, it didn't install to the applications folder so I had to go to the filesystem/usr/bin and d-click on kmail. Not a big deal.
Sincerely,
Dave

I've been looking for a way to do this for weeks!
My wife's windows machines semi-crash meant I had to back up data including outlook mails before a complete re-install of windows (what a nightmare).

anyway, my exported .dbx files wouldn't re-load to outlook. How can that make sense. I have all the folders in Kmail now, so at worst I can re-send them to the hotmail account.

Why did I quote the above post? After the two sudo apt-get install commands I typed kmail in the terminal and was taken straight into the setup procedure for Kmail.

Nice succinct howto. thanks.

gordonh
May 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM
grrr it doesnt actually seem to be saving them anywhere for me.

did you remember to select "import outlook ..." from the dropdown menu?

I didn't the first time I tried.

The favourites folders pane was too small to see anything by default. When I dragged it to the right everything became visible

Lucretia1
December 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
This worked slicker than snail snot! Absolutely perfect! My husband's windows machine finally died, so we're going windows-free and needed a way to convert all his old email. THANKS!

cet77
January 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks. :) works like a charm.. :)

-c-

cjv8888
February 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Worked really well.
Thank you.:D

alanbrodbeck
October 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Worked great for rescuing a crashed windows pc (now running Ubuntu)! I see it's been quite a while since this was written.
I only needed to run the first command:

$ sudo apt-get install kmail
kmailcvt was then present in /usr/bin/

Perhaps kmailcvt is now packaged with kmail proper.(?)
Thanks for writing this up!!

kevinguillorytraining
October 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for nice howto. My choice in linux always Thunderbird

Godofgrunts
January 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
An easier way to do this is to use Wine and dbxconv

Instructions are on my blog (http://linuxnthings.blogspot.com/2010/01/convert-outlook-express-dbx-to-mbx-for.html)

As well as the Wine Database entry (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18935) (maintained by me, so if you have issues let me know).

martymcc
September 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Sincerely,
Dave
That comment about 70+ year olds might be objectionable age stereotyping. I'm 78 and converting from Windows to Mac OS X and Ubuntu at the same time, and I'm doing it myself, not as anyone's customer. My main computer runs Windows XP Home, with mail in Pegasus Mail, and I'm already sending and receiving mail on the Mac and I've migrated some, but not yet all, of my mailboxes. I use an old ThinkPad running Windows 98 SE to produce a newsletter for a chapter of The Mended Hearts, with mail in Outlook Express, and I haven't even decided which Linux mail client to migrate to, but this thread looks as though it would be very helpful.

the_warrior
July 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Thank you for your very useful information....
And thank you for sharing your knowledge...........

pembertonq
January 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I just tried yesterday, and kmail now natively has the ability to read Outlook Express. However, I couldn't find the method to save to mbox.

oldfred
August 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Thread Closed.