PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

aykoola
January 18th, 2013, 05:19 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Maverick?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=1010-xubuntu-textlogo-export-400px.png

A thread for all of us that absolutely LOVE this Xfce Ubuntu version. It's snappy, beautiful!

Why do u love it?

johnnybgoode83
January 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
It's snappy, looks good, is stable and just works. It really should get a lot more attention, though.

Bucky Ball
January 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Happy user of first xfce then Xubuntu for ages now. ;)

dannyboy79
January 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
switched over from Ubuntu 10.04.4 to now Xubuntu 12.04 and loving it. the XFCE interface is snappy and doesn't have a terrible amount of background apps running. This is critical for 7 year old hardware like mine but to be honest, i will stick with Xubuntu even when I get new hardware this tax return time which is very soon.

I also love it because XFCE is utilized by Mythbuntu which I also run as my home built DVR system

Gremlinzzz
January 18th, 2013, 06:14 PM
:popcorn:When i first tried Xubuntu back in 2006 it was buggy,the panels would disappear etc.so i would always go back to Gnome.but that's all changed,I believe that Xubuntu is one of the best solid systems out there. it just keeps getting better, I do Appreciation Xubuntu. :D

bryncoles
January 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Me too! Using Xubuntu for 2 years now. What I like most is it's not Unity! Plus all my favourite Gnome apps are included as standard, it seems. It's quite nice, except for Xfburn, which is is buggy and under-loved, so far as I can tell. I have recently discovered the ncurses cd burner cdw, which I quite like though.

Plus, gnumeric seems to be an excellent spreadsheet software!

linuxyogi
January 18th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I am using Xubuntu 12.04. Its stable, fast & user friendly.

Peripheral Visionary
January 18th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Simple, pretty, infinitely configurable, child-friendly, parent-friendly, well-chosen applications, easy on older hardware, makes me a happy little user!

BlinkinCat
January 18th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Simple, pretty, infinitely configurable, child-friendly, parent-friendly, well-chosen applications, easy on older hardware, makes me a happy little user!

+ 1

Recent return as sole version user after time away and couldn't be happier - ):P

erind
January 19th, 2013, 01:25 AM
[...]

A thread for all of us that absolutely LOVE this Xfce Ubuntu version. It's snappy, beautiful!

Why do u love it?

It doesn't get in your way, lean, stable, configurable, certain default ubuntu applications pre-installed, themes, etc ... and the icing on the cake for me is Thunar's custom actions. I feel very productive using it and it's running as the main host OS for my virtual machines.
All in all pleasantly surprised and happy with 12.04.

mikodo
January 19th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I cut my linux chops on gnome2, like a lot of newer users. I was really, really sad to hear of it dying. I dual-boot OS's now between Ubuntu 10.04 and Xubuntu 12.04 and honestly, the more I learn about configuring Xfce, the more I like Xubuntu 12.04.

I spend most of my time in Xubuntu 12.04 with Xfce 4.12 now, and will not have any trouble computing without gnome2, once Ubuntu 10.04 reaches EOL.

I am very happy I have found Xubuntu.

;p

llanitedave
January 19th, 2013, 05:52 AM
"Elegant" is the term I would use. Simple and intuitive, and fast. Nice default values for fonts and window styles.

I'm very productive on it, and my gripes are few.

Now, if we could just replace that rat... [-o<

SantaFe
January 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I've got LXDE on my Xubuntu 12.10, does that make it LXubuntu now? :D:popcorn::D

aykoola
January 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Officially a member of one of the Xfce translating teams since today! Uploaded my first translations! Yippee :D

BlinkinCat
January 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Officially a member of one of the Xfce translating teams since today! Uploaded my first translations! Yippee :D

May I offer you sincere congratulations - :P

Peripheral Visionary
January 21st, 2013, 12:07 AM
The boy who introduced me to Xubuntu put it this way:

Bestest most wonderfulest Linux in the history of ever!

I can't top that.

tubular
January 21st, 2013, 12:40 AM
Long time Ubuntu user and now a refugee from Ubuntu/Unity.

Been using Xubuntu for a couple of months now and it's absolutely phenomenal !

Why not a seperate stand alone Xubuntu forum like most other Ubuntu branched distros ?

Elfy
January 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM

Why not a seperate stand alone Xubuntu forum like most other Ubuntu branched distros ?

There used to be one in the dim and distant past. At some point they must have chosen to close it and use this one.

If you want to specifically search here for Xubuntu threads - I use

ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=process&prefixchoice[]=xubuntu

aykoola
January 21st, 2013, 11:20 AM
Elfy, just one more question from me: But would it be doable if there was just Xubuntu theming for this forum available instead of a standalone forum? What i mean is actually only a colour change, so that everything that's orange in the existing theme would be a nice Xubu shade of blue? :) If that's doable in any way. It would ofcourse be opt-in, so the default is orange and you than manually choose the blue one over the orange. + does the old forum theme exist anymore, i really liked it?

And next, on Xubuntu. Someone mentioned default font values - those are the best in any distro i have ever tried. And yes, i know you can change them in any distro, but the thing is, that preconfiguration is very important to first time users. I wish Xfce would use the greybird theme by default, instead of the ugly looking one :D

mips
January 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Elfy, just one more question from me: But would it be doable if there was just Xubuntu theming for this forum available instead of a standalone forum? What i mean is actually only a colour change, so that everything that's orange in the existing theme would be a nice Xubu shade of blue? :) If that's doable in any way. It would ofcourse be opt-in, so the default is orange and you than manually choose the blue one over the orange. + does the old forum theme exist anymore, i really liked it?

And next, on Xubuntu. Someone mentioned default font values - those are the best in any distro i have ever tried. And yes, i know you can change them in any distro, but the thing is, that preconfiguration is very important to first time users. I wish Xfce would use the greybird theme by default, instead of the ugly looking one :D

Maybe someone can create a Stylish (http://userstyles.org/stylish/) one.

mörgæs
January 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM
I'm pleased to see a thread like this one: Supporting a particular interface (XFCE) rather than bitching about it (Unity / Gnome 3).

If you happen to see the latter somewhere it would be great with a brief post encouraging people to try some more desktop environments.

The Cog
January 21st, 2013, 12:22 PM
I actually switched to XFCE from Gnome2. It just felt that it fitted me better - no hatred, any more than switching my preferred coffee brand.

I tried Unity in the early days, but chose to stick with Xfce. I've never actually seen gnome3. Right now, Xfce feels comfortable and does pretty-much what I want. It's improving with each release but in the right ways.

It could use arandr adding to the default install.

I'm surprised to see complaints about xfburn - it's been very dependable to me. No frills and no fuss.

mamamia88
January 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM
I actually switched to XFCE from Gnome2. It just felt that it fitted me better - no hatred, any more than switching my preferred coffee brand.

I tried Unity in the early days, but chose to stick with Xfce. I've never actually seen gnome3. Right now, Xfce feels comfortable and does pretty-much what I want. It's improving with each release but in the right ways.

It could use arandr adding to the default install.

I'm surprised to see complaints about xfburn - it's been very dependable to me. No frills and no fuss.

xrandr isn't bad once you figure it out. what i do is find the commands i need then make a keyboard shortcut for them

Elfy
January 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM
Elfy, just one more question from me: But would it be doable if there was just Xubuntu theming for this forum available instead of a standalone forum? What i mean is actually only a colour change, so that everything that's orange in the existing theme would be a nice Xubu shade of blue? :) If that's doable in any way. It would ofcourse be opt-in, so the default is orange and you than manually choose the blue one over the orange. + does the old forum theme exist anymore, i really liked it?...Seperate theming for xubuntu isn't likely to happen officially I'm afraid.

Max Blyss
January 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM
"Elegant" is the term I would use. Simple and intuitive, and fast. Nice default values for fonts and window styles.

I'm very productive on it, and my gripes are few.

Now, if we could just replace that rat... [-o<

If you right click on the applications menu, you can change the icon. I don't like the rat, either.):P

Max Blyss
January 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM
I started on 10.10, switched to Xub after 11.04 came out... I have had almost no problems that weren't of my own creation since doing so. Awesome OS, and the best of the 'Buntu family, IMO.

I just don't understand why they don't have an Ambiance - style theme running default, and why it seems kinda distant from regular Ubuntu in its branding and such. I think closer brand association would lead to an increase in popularity for this beloved variant.

Just my two or so cents.

The Cog
January 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM
If you right click on the applications menu, you can change the icon. I don't like the rat, either.):P
I've got a penguin there, although I don't mind rats - we had a really sweet pet rat once.

hydn79
January 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM
Same here when Ubuntu was switched to Unity I changed to Xfce then Xubuntu. Now I'm on Arch + Xfce but can confirm that the lightest way to run Ubuntu without sacrificing features is Xubuntu.

Max Blyss
January 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM
I've got a penguin there, although I don't mind rats - we had a really sweet pet rat once.

I've got my main menu in AWN, so I'm stuck with the dist-logo Icon from whatever icon theme I'm using.

(No biggie, though, I have a ton of Icon sets to choose from. The free stuff kinda piles up.)

u-noob-tu
January 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM
A lot of people use Xubuntu/XFCE for older hardware with limited resources, but honestly, I think it is great for a lot of other reasons. It doesn't feel as bloated as other desktop environments (GNOME and especially KDE) and is thus snappier. I like my desktop to be as minimal as possible and XFCE is perfect for that. All around, I just think it's more fun to use. Sure, GNOME Shell is neat and unique in the way it does things but XFCE just does it with no frills and no problems. Example, Minecraft doesn't like to go into full screen in GNOME Shell whereas in XFCE it will without complaining. I also had trouble getting Steam for Linux to work in GNOME Shell. The ONLY thing I don't care for in XFCE is weak keyboard multimedia support, e.g. volume keys. They just don't work for me, and I've tried 2 different keyboards. Other than that, XFCE is my absolute favorite. :p

llanitedave
January 21st, 2013, 08:57 PM
Seperate theming for xubuntu isn't likely to happen officially I'm afraid.

I'm glad it won't happen. There are enough ideas and questions that cross DE-lines that there's no need to isolate users of one of them into a small subgroup. I like the size of the Ubuntu forums as they currently are --not too big, not too small.

If the community were to grow significantly, then it might be worthwhile to subdivide it some more, but not today.

llanitedave
January 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM

#-o

You got a lot of nerve, undermining my beautiful whine with actual solutions!

(I'd forgotten about that, actually. And I've already used it elsewhere on the panel!)

So that's done. Now, I'm inspired to create some icons of my own!

mips
January 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM
The ONLY thing I don't care for in XFCE is weak keyboard multimedia support, e.g. volume keys. They just don't work for me, and I've tried 2 different keyboards.

I think that's buggyness in the latest release. Have a read on their blog http://blog.xfce.org/

I've not had issues configuring multimedia keys or keybaord shortcuts yet.

bmeakings
January 22nd, 2013, 12:41 AM
I switched a few months ago as yet another Gnome 3 / Unity refugee. After trying a few alternative DE's I settled with Xfce, set it up like my old Gnome 2 desktop and I've been a happy user. I really like how most things are customisable while the desktop is not bloated. I absolutely love the Aquarius wallpaper, if I ever leave Xfce I'm taking it with me :) Last week I made the full switch and upgraded my installation from Ubuntu 12.04 to Xubuntu 12.10.

The only issue I have is that the tooltips on the desktop are frickin' humongous. The other thing I don't like isn't to do with the desktop but the attitude that it's just for old computers. My system isn't a supercomputer but it's no slouch either, I'd rather it put its muscle into rendering games.

All I have to say to the Xfce and Xubuntu devs is keep up the good work :)

Max Blyss
January 22nd, 2013, 04:17 AM
#-o

You got a lot of nerve, undermining my beautiful whine with actual solutions!

(I'd forgotten about that, actually. And I've already used it elsewhere on the panel!)

So that's done. Now, I'm inspired to create some icons of my own!

You got way more beans than me... Are they going to yank some of mine for solution - ing out of turn!?:o

u-noob-tu
January 23rd, 2013, 02:40 AM
I think that's buggyness in the latest release. Have a read on their blog http://blog.xfce.org/

I've not had issues configuring multimedia keys or keybaord shortcuts yet.

It's weird, when I press the volume up/down keys, the volume indicator shows up on the top right of the screen but the volume does not actually change even though the bar goes up/down with each press of the key. I have to click on the volume icon in the notification area to actually change the volume. :confused:

llanitedave
January 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
You got way more beans than me... Are they going to yank some of mine for solution - ing out of turn!?:o

My beans just aren't all that magical.

llanitedave
January 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
I switched a few months ago as yet another Gnome 3 / Unity refugee. After trying a few alternative DE's I settled with Xfce, set it up like my old Gnome 2 desktop and I've been a happy user. I really like how most things are customisable while the desktop is not bloated. I absolutely love the Aquarius wallpaper, if I ever leave Xfce I'm taking it with me :) Last week I made the full switch and upgraded my installation from Ubuntu 12.04 to Xubuntu 12.10.

The only issue I have is that the tooltips on the desktop are frickin' humongous. The other thing I don't like isn't to do with the desktop but the attitude that it's just for old computers. My system isn't a supercomputer but it's no slouch either, I'd rather it put its muscle into rendering games.

All I have to say to the Xfce and Xubuntu devs is keep up the good work :)

I've been a KDE person for a long time, mostly on the strength of their QT apps. Although I appreciate the KDE desktop, I'm having more and more difficulty preferring it to Xfce. Not to mention that the KDE apps look just as good on Xfce!

I just use the KDE apps on Xubuntu. If the Xubuntu default apps improve enough, they may just pull ahead.

vasa1
January 23rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
The only issue I have is that the tooltips on the desktop are frickin' humongous...
See this: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2057687&postcount=34

aykoola
February 3rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
anyone else in the mood for some appreciating? :D

mips
February 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
It's weird, when I press the volume up/down keys, the volume indicator shows up on the top right of the screen but the volume does not actually change even though the bar goes up/down with each press of the key. I have to click on the volume icon in the notification area to actually change the volume. :confused:

Are you using alsa or pulse audio? Might be that but I'm just guessing.

germanix
February 3rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Like everything about it, including the rat. Runs great on my now 9 years old Sony laptop.

u-noob-tu
February 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Are you using alsa or pulse audio? Might be that but I'm just guessing.

I'm using Pulse Audio, since that's what Xubuntu uses by default.

Peripheral Visionary
February 5th, 2013, 11:58 PM
My teacher always removed PulseAudio from Xubuntu first thing, until Precise finally got PulseAudio working in Xubuntu without issues.

black veils
February 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM
i thought i had already posted on this thread.

been using xubuntu since i learned of gnome 2 impending death.

i prefer xubuntu (xfce) because it is customisable and tidy. i need to be able to configure it just right, to make things easily distinguishable, yet also change that which distracts me, for the sake of efficiency.

i like leafpad, ristretto image viewer, screenshooter, thunar, terminal emulator, abiword is good for the rare times i require anything more than a text editor. i have been geeking long enough that i know which applications i like to use. i have also finally settled, i am staying with this system until EOL.

i am what a lot of people would consider boring, because i only do security updates, i dont need or want for the latest software, i like it to stay the same for a while.

theming is something silly and fun to do inbetween all the intense stuff.

u-noob-tu
February 6th, 2013, 06:43 PM
My teacher always removed PulseAudio from Xubuntu first thing, until Precise finally got PulseAudio working in Xubuntu without issues.

How would I go about doing that? How would I make the switch to alsa? I've never had to mess with any sound configurations in Linux before.

mips
February 6th, 2013, 09:59 PM
How would I go about doing that? How would I make the switch to alsa? I've never had to mess with any sound configurations in Linux before.

To many links to mention so instead I will provide this https://www.google.co.za/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=hp&tok=pM41FK_kajRqLi-VJBEzIQ&cp=25&gs_id=49&xhr=t&q=Ubuntu+disable+pulseaudio&es_nrs=true&pf=p&newwindow=1&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Ubuntu+disable+pulseaudio&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41934586,d.d2k&fp=218543d8cbd663cc&ion=1&biw=1429&bih=946

Bucky Ball
February 7th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Don't remove Pulseaudi. Install 'pauvcontrol' and then you have full control over it. Much better than alsa, IMHO. Sits on top usually anyhow so you have PulseA and alsa anyhow.

You will then find 'PulseAudio Volume Control' in Applications>Multimedia and can stick the icon on your toolbar and control what you want. ;)

llanitedave
February 7th, 2013, 04:45 AM
I'm temporarily witholding my previous Xubuntu admiration, since it just hit me with a sudden nasty bug out of the blue. I have a help request in the appropriate forum, but these unexpected instabilities can really dampen one's enthusiasm.

I'll go back to the KDE appreciation thread!

Sam Mills
February 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Xubuntu is one of my all time favs when I'm in the mood for a simple and effective OS, but by no means is it the be all. Nothing is. Just find what works for you and be happy. :)

Peripheral Visionary
February 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'm temporarily witholding my previous Xubuntu admiration, since it just hit me with a sudden nasty bug out of the blue. I have a help request in the appropriate forum, but these unexpected instabilities can really dampen one's enthusiasm.

I will stick to the LTS releases, and not upgrade to the next LTS until the current one reaches end-of-life, for just that reason. I think, judging by the threads in the help subforums, that Xubuntu is less prone to these surprises than it's older siblings though.

llanitedave
February 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I will stick to the LTS releases, and not upgrade to the next LTS until the current one reaches end-of-life, for just that reason. I think, judging by the threads in the help subforums, that Xubuntu is less prone to these surprises than it's older siblings though.

Xubuntu does seem more stable than Unity, but so far KDE beats it for stability on my system. This is for the 12.10 version, not older ones. Actually, in my limited experience both Kubuntu and Xubuntu are more stable in the 12.10 versions than they were in the LTS 12.04 versions, which doesn't seem the case for Unity.

Anyway, my Xubuntu bug is now fixed, I'll just wait and see how long it holds up. (My bug seems to have been around since 2011 at least, so it's not just a temporary 'whoop'). I'm trying to split my time in half between K & X, and I'm still liking both of them for different reasons.

nenadlatinovic
January 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM
This beautiful system will never leave my computer. Desktop masterpiece!

Thanks developers!

mikodo
January 14th, 2014, 08:19 PM
WoW

I was going to reply to the thread, but found I replied a year ago,

Nice seeing the love tho.

BlinkinCat
January 18th, 2014, 06:48 PM
This beautiful system will never leave my computer. Desktop masterpiece!

Thanks developers!

It really is that good isn't it ? - :D

neu5eeCh
January 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Robert Frost's poem "New Hampshire (http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/robert_frost/poems/733http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/robert_frost/poems/733)" ends like this:

"Well, if I have to choose one or the other,
I choose to be a plain New Hampshire farmer
With an income in cash of, say, a thousand
(From, say, a publisher in New York City).
It's restful to arrive at a decision,
And restful just to think about New Hampshire.
At present I am living in Vermont."

So, it's in that spirit that I write:

"Well, if I have to choose one or the other,
I choose to be a plain Xubuntu user
With a desktop, a quad-core CPU
(Installed by System 76, let's say).
It's restful to arrive at a decision,
And restful just to think about Xubuntu.
At present I am using KDE."

TeamRocket1233c
January 21st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Anyone testing Xubuntu 14.04, and if so, waddya guys think? I've been playing with a 14.04 VM which I originally installed a basic LXDE desktop on, but eventually turned it into Lubuntu 14.04, and it's pretty nice so far. :D

Elfy
January 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM
Anyone testing Xubuntu 14.04, and if so, waddya guys think? I've been playing with a 14.04 VM which I originally installed a basic LXDE desktop on, but eventually turned it into Lubuntu 14.04, and it's pretty nice so far. :D

I've been playing with 14.04 since some time last year - got a couple of proper installs - one with nouveau, one with nvidia and a bunch of VM's.

This one (nouveau) is the one I've been using to run the test PPAs for gtk3 indicators, newer tabwin and some other things.

Looking good to me :)

TeamRocket1233c
January 21st, 2014, 03:30 PM
I had originally attempted a netinstall of 14.04, but it wouldn't download the installer components, unfortunately, so I had to do a 13.10 netinstall and manually upgrade it to 14.04, but oh wells. :D

william14
February 5th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Time and time again I have tried Ubuntu, but I always run into some issue with Unity where the explanation is simply, "You can't do that. That's just how it is." For instance, try to move the Dock to the top or bottom of the screen. Nope. That's just how it is. So, I go back to Xubuntu wondering why I even tried to install anything else. I have learned my lesson, and I will be installing Xubuntu as my first choice from now on. Oh, and on my Xubuntu machine, I have two docks (or panels): one at the top, and one at the bottom. :D