PDA

View Full Version : What I like most about Ubuntu is.....

kvonb
July 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I don't do this kind of rubbish as a rule, but I just received my pack of free Ubuntu CDs, and I got all soppy, so here goes:

I like that I can move my hard disk with Ubuntu installed on it, to just about any computer I have, and it will work straight away!

No driver problems, no license crap, no down time.

Now that is what I call AMAZING!

hellmet
July 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I think its been repeated n times on the forums already but these are a
few reasons I like Ubuntu..

-Its first of all legal to own this OS.
-I can install s/w that are free..and there always are two-three s/w doing
the same thing..so if I don't like on I can just install another of 'em
-No viruses..no spyware..no need to spend on Firewall,AntiVirus
Or again get them illegally..(I get legal here again)
-I don't have to crack every other s/w to make them run fulltime..
I get s/w that actually allow customization!!
-I can do everything(almost) that I used to do on windows without the guilt
and without the crap!!

ITS STABLE!!no blue/green/red screens..no DON"T SEND / SEND errors..
except for the occasional Nautilus error

raldz
July 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
From my experience, aside from graphics and wireless problems, Linux is definitely better than Windows.. I could do all my productivity tasks in Ubuntu.. I just don't like the default theme.. it's the very first thing that I change for every install since 5.04..

Polygon
July 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
the games that do have native ports in linux are like 5 times as fast in linux then their windows counterparts, now i can only wait for more developers to catch on :D

i also like how basically anything that i ever need to do on my computer is provided free of charge, everything on my machine was configured automatically (except for getting accerated 3d to work), no installing drivers and restarting, its great.

FredB
July 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
5 times faster ? Really ? ;)

When I compared some big "babies", I noticed Linux was a little quicker, but as long as it is playable...

fuscia
July 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
i like being in control of my own computer. ubuntu makes that easy for an end user like me.

asimon
July 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
What I like most about Ubuntu is nothing specific technical but the community it build up. In my eyes it's the people who distinguish Ubuntu the most from other distros and not the hardware detection, package management, desktop environment, etc. Technically I don't see Ubuntu really better then the other great distros at all.

Polygon
July 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM
5 times faster ? Really ? ;)

When I compared some big "babies", I noticed Linux was a little quicker, but as long as it is playable...

the most noticable improvement was map load times. honestly, in the same game (americas army), loading a certain map took like 10 seconds, but in linux it took like 2-4 seconds. the game ran much faster and i got a better overall framrate (50 fps average instead of like 35)

siimo
July 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM
the forums. :KS