PDA

View Full Version : Partition misalignment

Conscript
January 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Okay. Bought this new machine - HP Pavilion G6. It came installed with the dreaded Windows 8 Virus. I say virus because it took 2.5 hours at the help desk to kill it. For whatever reason the new BIOS they made makes it impossible to boot any distro prior to 12.04. Something about encryption and whatnot. Can anybody illuminate me on this?

Somehow we managed to get Ubuntu 11.10 on it because that is the version I liked the most, but have since switched to 12.04 64 bit on this machine with a gnome fallback interface. It had to be done in DOS from the windows 7(8?) system, we had to manually tell it to recognize the setup file in Ubuntu 11.10 in order to install. Apparently it takes windows 7 to kill windows 8. And then from windows 7 you can kill it with Ubuntu with extreme effort given the new BIOS's they are making now.

Anyways....

I have noticed the machine to be slower than expected - Windows ran faster so something had to be wrong. It just gets a little slow and hangs for a while not sure why.
Then by sheer accident I was fiddling with a flash drive and found this when I clicked on my hard disk summary in Disk Utility:

"WARNING: The partition is misaligned by 3072 bytes. This may result in very poor performance. Repartitioning is suggested."

How exactly do I fix this without reinstalling/butchering the system?

Also, do I really need a 4 gig swap file? Or is that just a tasty treat for the FBI forensics division? What is a swap anyways?

oldfred
January 17th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Closed duplicate.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2105965