PDA

View Full Version : Filezilla for sharing files

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I am trying to share files between two computers in my house using Filezilla. Here is the error I am getting:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

What do I need to do to get this working? Both computers have Linux installed. What do I need to set up?

Petro Dawg
January 17th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I just use Ubuntu1 to share files between my Ubuntu and Win7 partitions as well as various computers (in my home and across the country) as well as my phone.

Its rather easy to set up and works well.

Others prefer DropBox, either is fine for simply sharing files between computers.

I think to set up a proper network across your computers you may need to use Samba or NFS. But I never felt the need to use either of them.

2F4U
January 17th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Since FileZilla is a FTP/SFTP client, do you have a server running at the computer you are trying to connect to?

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 05:57 PM
No I don't. I don't think Filezilla is available as a Server app for linux.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM
You can use Filezilla to connect to the ftp subsystem of a machine running openssh-server.

What sort of files are you wanting to share?

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Actually I am digitizing my record collection so I record them to an old Dell 3000 which is connected to my sound system. Ten, I would like to be able to access them from my old HP laptop for further editing etc...

CharlesA
January 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Just use NFS (https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/network-file-system.html) or Samba if you feel like it.

Now that I think about it, you could also use sshfs if you really wanted to.

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks! I will give Samba another shot. I just wanted to know how to set up FTP as a second alternative in case things went wrong with Samba. So you are saying that as long as I install an FTP server on one of my machines, I can use the Filezilla client to connect to it? If so, I will search for an FTP server with a GUI, if there is such a thing. :)

CharlesA
January 17th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks! I will give Samba another shot. I just wanted to know how to set up FTP as a second alternative in case things went wrong with Samba. So you are saying that as long as I install an FTP server on one of my machines, I can use the Filezilla client to connect to it? If so, I will search for an FTP server with a GUI, if there is such a thing. :)

Yes.

As for Samba, I wrote something up (http://charlesa.net/tutorials/debian/debiansamba.php).

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks!! Appreciate it!

rmcellig
January 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM
You mentioned in the document that there are easier and better ways to share files if using Linux or OSX. I have an iMac and two laptops running Linux. What methods are there that are easier than Samba? FTP or is there something else? My line PC running XP Pro is my wife's. I would use Samba to share with her but now I am interested in the other methods.

Thanks!!

CharlesA
January 17th, 2013, 09:22 PM
NFS is supposed to be easier to set up than Samba and it should work with OSX, not sure about WinXP though.

I haven't used NFS as I've got Samba running just fine, so I do not know how easy/difficult it is to get running. Most of the documentation I have seen for it mentions storing a machine's home directory on a server instead of locally.