PDA

View Full Version : Grub entries after dual boot and boot repair

khaos1
January 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hello,
I have succesfully installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 in my new Asus laptop ( with Windows 8 preinstalled. After the boot I can't boot in Windows 8 and I run Boot Repair. Now I can boot in Windows 8 but there are many entries in my grub. I want to clear the unused grub entries with a safe way.

My Grub entries:

Ubuntu -> Boots ok!
Windows 8 (loader) ---> Still gives error
2 Entries for System/Windows Recovery -> I didn't tried them :p
Windows UEFI bootmgfw.efi (/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi) -> Boots Ok
Windows Boot UEFI loader (/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi) -> Boots Ok But Which of them I must keep and which I must delete?

This is my Boot Repair Output:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1538249/

Thanks in advance ;)

oldfred
January 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Boot-Repair added the correct efi chain load entries to 25_custom. Grub2's os-prober has a bug and all its entries will not currently work. You can turn off os-prober.

Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread -drs305
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287602
#In /etc/default/grub I added this line:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
#or turn off executeable bit
sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

#Then

sudo update-grub

khaos1
January 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have turned off and now I have Ubuntu and 2 Windows Entries. Why the grub detected 2 windows loaders?

Windows Boot UEFI loader (/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi) -> Boots Ok

Are the same ?? (they have some differences in the files that point) And which of the two I must use to login?

oldfred
January 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Not sure of exact differences.

Both Windows & Ubuntu have bootx64.efi so I think that must be related to the UEFI shell? Just found reference that says this file is the UEFI shell.

The Windows boot file in BIOS was bootmgr so the Windows efi boot file is bootmgfw.efi.

I would keep both of those.

khaos1
January 20th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Not sure of exact differences.

Both Windows & Ubuntu have bootx64.efi so I think that must be related to the UEFI shell? Just found reference that says this file is the UEFI shell.

The Windows boot file in BIOS was bootmgr so the Windows efi boot file is bootmgfw.efi.

I would keep both of those.

Ok thanks both of them boot Windows 8 so I will keep them. Thanks again

YannBuntu
January 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hello

Windows Boot UEFI loader (/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi) -> Boots Ok

Are the same ??

No difference. You can remove one in your /etc/grub.d/25_custom file if you want.

khaos1
January 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hello

No difference. You can remove one in your /etc/grub.d/25_custom file if you want.

Thank you :)

YannBuntu
January 22nd, 2013, 12:10 AM
you're welcome :) if your problem is solved, please use the Thread Tools to mark it [SOLVED]