PDA

View Full Version : LibreOffice <-> MSFT Office 2010

mike acker
January 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM
has anyone any experience in transferring LibreOffice documents to Windows Office 2010 users ?
msft complains the LibreOffice document is 'corrupt' . it offers to 'recover' the document but does a crappy job
all of the formulas in our .ods document were replaced with 'values only'

drawkcab
January 17th, 2013, 03:37 AM
has anyone any experience in transferring LibreOffice documents to Windows Office 2010 users ?
msft complains the LibreOffice document is 'corrupt' . it offers to 'recover' the document but does a crappy job
all of the formulas in our .ods document were replaced with 'values only'

Can't you save the document in a microsoft format with Open Office? My guess is that MS does this on purpose so don't look to them for compatibility solutions.

bootedguy
January 17th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Upload the odt file to Google Drive, and then download as DOCX. Google seems to have done a pretty good job of reverse engineering the DOCX format.

sidzen
January 17th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Thanx for the workaround info, bootedguy!
I was importing Libre Office into abiword and exporting as a PDF in order to get that damned M$ Word to read my docs.

mike acker
January 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Thanx for the workaround info, bootedguy!
I was importing Libre Office into abiword and exporting as a PDF in order to get that damned M$ Word to read my docs.

yep

experiments this morning indicate that when i

save document as odt or docx in Linux and then
attempt to read document in windows:

using LibreOffice: OK
using MSFT/Office results in an error: MSFT/Office fails

however

after reading the .odt in Windows/LibreOffice and then
re-saving as either .docx or .doc --
MSFT/Office recovers good approximation of original without printing an error message

Conclusion: my experience with Linux/Windows transfers indicates the trouble is often in Windows use of CR LF rather than simple LF as 'end of line ' mark . I'd bet the problem in moving .odt ( or .ods ) from Linux to MSFT/Office 2010 has its roots in this AGE OLD issue
~~~
Amendment 1
Note to LibreOffice: when you are directed to "save as .docx or as .doc your output file should be acceptable to MSFT. If you have to write in DOS format to do it,--- get 'er done .

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Just an addition. When saving from LibreOffice to a Microsoft format, always use doc and not docx. LibreOffice does a great job saving docs, but their docx support is worse than dismal. It does a good job of opening docx files that were saved from MSO, but it does a horrible job of saving them.