PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gigabit ethernet cable quality, does it affect transfer speed?

sdowney717
January 17th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I have several pieces of cat5e.
They all connect at gigabit speeds.
Once the cable connects at a gigabit speed, are all the cables going to transfer at the same speed assuming they are the same length?

Or, are some cables going to be working faster than others?

I see the file transfer speeds can randomly vary from 25 to 50MB/s even using the same cables. Seems speed changes on its own whim of the moment, or some unknown obscure variable.

haqking
January 17th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I have several pieces of cat5e.
They all connect at gigabit speeds.
Once the cable connects at a gigabit speed, are all the cables going to transfer at the same speed assuming they are the same length?

Or, are some cables going to be working faster than others?

I see the file transfer speeds can randomly vary from 25 to 50MB/s even using the same cables. Seems speed changes on its own whim of the moment, or some unknown obscure variable.

Well it is called attenuation, however Ethernet should manage 100 metres before signal degradation. (or 90 and 10 to a patch panel)

So really depends how long you are talking about

But no 2 cables are "exactly" the same.

sdowney717
January 17th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I have a cat 5e cable run of 80 feet between wall plates that runs under the house.
So I have been testing out short sections of cat 5e from pc to gigabit switch to see if it can connect a gigabit speeds. So far only one short piece of cat 5e can not do that.

I also have a 30 foot run of cat 5e to an P4 intel server board S875WP1-E which has 2 ethernet ports, one is 100, one is intel pro 1000 ct.

For some reason the Intel pro 1000 port can not make a gigabit connection to the switch. Might be the cable ends. I remade one end, which did not help, so I may try another cable.

that Pc is running win7. I read there is some software intel has which can do diagnostic on the cable. I dont see any diagnostic tab in the adapter properties.