PDA

View Full Version : Nero is available on Ubuntu, Now!

GnuKian
January 16th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Download Nero for ubuntu: http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-linux4-update.php

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OGRlljFW_V0/UMIV8JdIx0I/AAAAAAAABJo/FgnkP_fjwHI/s424/nero.jpg

mips
January 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Been available for ages but you need a license key or serial for it.

haqking
January 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
only been around since 2005 ;-) and available in Ubuntu since 7.04

K3b for me.

GnuKian
January 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Oh oh, sorry for this spam!

K3b for me.Silicon (http://getsilicon.org/) for me. averyone can contribute to develop it (here (https://gitorious.org/silicon)).

|{urse
January 16th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Nero = steaming pile of annoying

+1 @ K3B, the only burning software you will ever need.

ibjsb4
January 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Nice size (17M) and didn't ask for a key. But didn't boot in 12o4 either :(

Jakin
January 17th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I bought the Nero for Linux, but these days i dont bother using it... K3B for me.

ibjsb4
January 17th, 2013, 01:42 AM
I bought the Nero for Linux, but these days i dont bother using it... K3B for me.

I too use k3b, but on ubuntu thats a 200M download. Just cause it works so good I have continued to us it, but recently loaded xfburn and giving it a try.

IWantFroyo
January 17th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I used to use Xfburn. Now I just use K3b, but that's because now I'm on a KDE desktop.

szymon_g
January 17th, 2013, 02:34 AM
as for GTK application- there is nothing that can beats Nero.
K3b isn't bad, but it's Qt (and even worse- a lot of KDE dependencies).
Shame, it's (i.e. Nero) on sale anymore.

Jakin
January 17th, 2013, 04:15 AM
My use of K3B might have something to do with my use of KDE.. Nero i seemed to remember needed some library fixes to get working and 11.10 and above.

In the end Nero Burning rom, IS good, but its not really full featured enough to absolutely choose it over the more convient (in my situation) k3b.

I liked using Nero's Save tracks to aac/m4a though... but i since found XCFA, and is actually better overall.

mips
January 17th, 2013, 08:30 AM
If I was using KDE I would use K3B but I'm using XFCE and K3B pulls in a whole lot of kde/qt stuff which I don't want. It's a really great app but for now I'm using Nero.

monkeybrain2012
January 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM
If I was using KDE I would use K3B but I'm using XFCE and K3B pulls in a whole lot of kde/qt stuff which I don't want. It's a really great app but for now I'm using Nero.

I am using Unity (gnome) and I am using k3b, sure there seem to be many dependencies but the actual space they take up is quite minimal. I am sure Nero uses up a lot more space.

Aside: I think there are users who just come from Windows who get excited when their familiar proprietary or paid software becomes available in Linux or works in WINE even though there are perfectly good free alternatives which they should explore IMO. e.g there are many new users asking about m-torrent in Linux while there are many excellent Linux torrent clients available with just a click from the Software centre (Most people call it u-torrent but it is actually the Greek letter "mu", which is the equivalent to "m" rather than "u")

GnuKian
January 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
It is interesting to note that no one in this thread have not shown interest in "brasero", Ubuntu default burner! As you, I have not always succeeded with brasero.

Jakin
January 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
It is interesting to note that no one in this thread have not shown interest in "brasero", Ubuntu default burner! As you, I have not always succeeded with brasero.

IMO Brasero is terrible.

mips
January 17th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Don't like it one little bit.

Hylas de Niall
January 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Brasero has never failed me. Not even once, and it burns better on my drive than paid for softs did on Win7.

coldraven
January 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Nero for Windows had a little utility that would give you all the information about optical media that you would ever need. (manufacturer, size etc.)
I cannot remember the file name but it was possibly a .dll that could be renamed to .exe and run as a standalone program.
Try looking for discinfo.dll or similar.
That might be useful for someone.

I just use K3b :)

ibjsb4
January 17th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Interesting, why not xfburn? And why does nero work for you and not me? I loaded it eariler and wouldn't even boot from terminal. Could it be it didn't like my VM?

mips
January 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Interesting, why not xfburn? And why does nero work for you and not me? I loaded it eariler and wouldn't even boot from terminal. Could it be it didn't like my VM?

No idea why it's not working for you. I've got it running on Lubuntu 12.04 32-bit as well as my Arch based Manjaro 64-bit installs. I know in Arch you have to manually load the "sg" module which you did not have to do before.

I do also have xfburn installed but I've had issues with it on a few odd occasions.

|{urse
January 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
as for GTK application- there is nothing that can beats Nero.
K3b isn't bad, but it's Qt (and even worse- a lot of KDE dependencies).
Shame, it's (i.e. Nero) on sale anymore.

Out of curiosity, why does anyone prefer Nero? Is there some great feature I'm missing here?

speedwell68
January 22nd, 2013, 12:31 AM
I burn very few disc these days. If I do need to burn a disc I just use Brasero and it works just fine.

neu5eeCh
January 22nd, 2013, 01:55 AM
Out of curiosity, why does anyone prefer Nero? Is there some great feature I'm missing here?

It just works. I tried living with Brasero, but expressing my true opinion of this piece of... well... the moderators would not approve.

craig10x
January 22nd, 2013, 03:46 AM
k3b is really outstanding, though...runs "rings" around Brasero, in my opinion...has versatility and reliability you just don't get in Brasero....to me it's worth pulling in the kde stuff to install it...

Probably the best disc burner on linux one can find ;)
Simple to use, intuitive and easy to work with...

It will even automatically rip (copy to copy) an encrypted dvd disc (assuming that you have the libdvdcss2 codec installed from the medibuntu repos)...Brasero doesn't handle that...

MadmanRB
January 22nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
For me k3B is just fine

cariboo
January 22nd, 2013, 04:28 AM
For the one or two CD/DVD's I burn a year, Brasero has always worked well for me. USB thumb drives have pretty well replaced optical media for my needs.

BlinkinCat
January 22nd, 2013, 04:35 AM
I only burn distro DVD's - have no other need.
Brasero has always been perfectly adequate for me - :)