PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a magnetic screwdriver to service my laptop?

Petro Dawg
January 16th, 2013, 06:18 AM
My original answer to the question posed in the title would have been a resounding NO; but... after downloading the service manual for my Presario CQ62 lap top, I was surprised to find a magnetic screwdriver listed as one of the tools required for the component replacement procedures. Is that normal?

It was my understanding that a magnetic tool should never be placed anywhere near computer components; is there actually a practical application for the use of one? Is it ever safe?

Full document can be found here:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02542455/c02542455.pdf

CharlesA
January 16th, 2013, 06:53 AM
They are fine. I use one when taking apart a PC. I hate dropping screws.

The magnet in the tip shouldn't be a problem even if you use it to remove the hard drive.

cariboo
January 16th, 2013, 07:28 AM
How do you propose to hang on to all those tiny screws without a magnetic screwdriver?

Magnetic screws drivers aren't strong enough to affect hard drives, even the magnets inside the drive, don't have any effect on them.

Dragonbite
January 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM
The computer is not on when you are doing this (I would hope) so there is no charge or anything that the magnetic screwdriver could re-direct.

Also, I don't think a screwdriver is powerful enough to even pass along its magnetic properties to another object.

Now mind you, if you have a non-SSD hard drive in there, there is a very powerful magnet used to move the arm across the heads. You're little screwdriver is no match for that and the hard drive one sits in the computer all day and while it is on.

So, I don't think it is a big issue. I haven't seen any problem stem from using one *knock on wood*

vishurockssrivastava
January 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
It shouldn't affect the laptop. I use a magnetic screw driver as well and the fact that my laptop is running and I'm able to type this is testimony of a magnetic screw driver working properly.

Petro Dawg
January 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Well that's good to know. I think my reservations about using one stemmed back from the days of floppy disks, which were highly susceptible to magnetic damage. I just assumed other components (such as the HD) would also be vulnerable, but it seems not.

stalkingwolf
January 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM
i use a magnetic screw driver ,especially for the cpu fan screws. I also use the magnets from old hard drives to remagnetize them.

Bandit
January 16th, 2013, 04:32 PM
You know I think its funny that all of us including myself use magnetic screw drivers despite the A+ Exam course material states you shouldn't..LOL :lolflag:

But yea its safe as long as it is not on..

haqking
January 16th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Just be extra careful when leveraging out your CPU with it ;-)

mips
January 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM
It's fine. Been using them for longer than some people here have been around.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 16th, 2013, 04:54 PM
How do you propose to hang on to all those tiny screws without a magnetic screwdriver?

Magnetic screws drivers aren't strong enough to affect hard drives, even the magnets inside the drive, don't have any effect on them.
The magnet that moves the head is shielded, i have held one of those magnets, without its shielding that think will stick to about anything metal and hold on for life, you could probably open your fridge with it

a magnetic screwdriver will not hurt anything, i always use magnetic screwdrivers myself

QIII
January 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Just be extra careful when leveraging out your CPU with it ;-)

They are fine for that as long as you originally used a magnetic hammer to tap the CPU in.

haqking
January 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
They are fine for that as long as you originally used a magnetic hammer to tap the CPU in.

I use a rubber mallet, i take no risks.

Grenage
January 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Unless the magnetism is very strong, it's not a problem. If I'm working around something that's particularly sensitive, I just dab a tiny piece of blue-tack into the head, and use a normal driver.

Magnetism does damage sensitive components, however it's not normally to a noticeable degree. I have never caused damage with a magnetic screwdriver - as far as I am aware. Just like static discharge, I stopped bothering to ground myself about 17 years ago.

ibjsb4
January 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I once tried to wipe an old HDD with a five pound (two kilogram) magnet. I was surprised when it still booted up.

forrestcupp
January 16th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Just like static discharge, I stopped bothering to ground myself about 17 years ago.
Really? You don't even intentionally touch the power supply or chassis first?

Grenage
January 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Really? You don't even intentionally touch the power supply or chassis first?

Indeed not; I used to be militant about it, but I've not had any (detectable) issues since I stopped bothering.

QIII
January 16th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I once tried to wipe an old HDD with a five pound (two kilogram) magnet. I was surprised when it still booted up.

I once attempted to wipe a drive with a magnetized pulaski. I couldn't get the two halves back into my machine, so I don't know if I was successful or not.

Paqman
January 17th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Just like static discharge, I stopped bothering to ground myself about 17 years ago.

Not good practice. ESD is real, the damage is invisible and not always immediately obvious, but you will be degrading components by no handling them correctly. Just because you can't see the damage and the component doesn't die immediately doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The electronics industry spends vast amounts of time and money combating ESD, the science behind it solid. All it takes for an individual though is a cheap wrist strap and some good handling practices.

Grenage
January 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Not good practice. ESD is real, the damage is invisible and not always immediately obvious, but you will be degrading components by no handling them correctly. Just because you can't see the damage and the component doesn't die immediately doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The electronics industry spends vast amounts of time and money combating ESD, the science behind it solid. All it takes for an individual though is a cheap wrist strap and some good handling practices.

Of that I have no doubt, and I've read various sources citing the potential but unapparent damage. However, I've had no real failures, and cycle parts out long before they fail.

Pizza and cigarettes cause unostensible damage, and yet are still partaken.

Paqman
January 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Pizza and cigarettes cause unostensible damage, and yet are still partaken.

Yeah, but those at least have the pleasure bonus to balance the equation up a bit.

Grenage
January 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
So does the few seconds saved. ;)

Don't get me wrong, if I'm dealing with server hardware or other corporate machines, I will go through every procedure. For my home machines, I can't be bothered.

Warren Hill
January 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Just to pick up on two points

1. Magnetic screwdrivers are fine. The only components that is sensitive to magnetic fields are the platters inside the hard disk and since these are inside a steel box they are screened. A screwdriver is not magnetised enough to get passed this screening

2. ESD is a real problem. More often than not you will get away without taking precautions but the initial damage is often small and may take time to show it self. Earth your self before changing any bits. I have seen memory fail several weeks after being replaced because precautions were not taken.

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I once attempted to wipe a drive with a magnetized pulaski. I couldn't get the two halves back into my machine, so I don't know if I was successful or not.

Lol. :lol:

Dragonbite
January 17th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Just to pick up on two points

1. Magnetic screwdrivers are fine. The only components that is sensitive to magnetic fields are the platters inside the hard disk and since these are inside a steel box they are screened. A screwdriver is not magnetised enough to get passed this screening

2. ESD is a real problem. More often than not you will get away without taking precautions but the initial damage is often small and may take time to show it self. Earth your self before changing any bits. I have seen memory fail several weeks after being replaced because precautions were not taken.

Now, if we were talking about Sonic Screwdrivers ...

ibjsb4
January 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Sonic serves hamburgers, not alcohol.

QIII
January 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I think we can all agree that spilling a screwedriver inside your case would be a bad idea.

stalkingwolf
January 17th, 2013, 05:15 PM
in addition some would consider spilling a screwdriver or any alcohol a felony.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Well, if you were going to use a Sonic Screwdriver, the problem would already be fixed... ;)

ibjsb4
January 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM
in addition some would consider spilling a screwdriver or any alcohol a felony.

Thought it was

QIII
January 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Well, if you were going to use a Sonic Screwdriver, the problem would already be fixed... ;)

And you could break out of the cell you were being held in while you contemplated using a magnetic screwdriver on your laptop.

Unless, of course, the lock were made of wood.

Dragonbite
January 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I think we can all agree that spilling a screwedriver inside your case would be a bad idea.

That's considered alcohol abuse. (poor, poor alcohol...)

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Servicing laptops ------> Booze

Petro Dawg
January 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Good News: Thanks to everyone's advice I disassembled and reassembled my laptop without a problem. Magnetic screwdriver proved extremely useful. :p

Bad News: My Laptop was extremely clean inside, which means the high temperature issue I was aiming to fix is due to something other than simple dust build-up. :(

agillator
January 27th, 2013, 12:47 AM
How old is your laptop? If it is more than a couple of year old it could easily be that you need to replace the thermal grease between the cpu and the heat sink.

Petro Dawg
January 27th, 2013, 01:45 AM
It ran hot since day 1 I think, I noticed it seemed warm but unfortunately never paid much attention to the problem until I had linux and conky installed some time later. Its about 2 years old now. I have temps under control (around 50 C with normal use) using Ubuntu2D and my cooling desk (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12430993#post12430993).

And yes, the internal fan works and seems to run on high when hot.

Ubuntu(3D) and Windows 7 idle around 70 C and can get into the 90's during normal use if no external cooling is in place.

besial
January 27th, 2013, 01:48 AM
My laptop runs hot too.

Petro Dawg
January 27th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I also added extra high "feet" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12187135#post12187135) to raise it up a little and installed Jupiter to control CPU speed.

mörgæs
January 27th, 2013, 02:17 AM
If you want help with overheating best is to open a new thread.

Back to the screwdriver discussion: When doing service on an analog radio magnetic screwdrivers should not be used. A number of small coils will change characteristics if an object nearby is magnetised.

For everything else I use magnetic screwdrivers and have never had bad experiences.

Petro Dawg
January 27th, 2013, 03:09 AM
If you want help with overheating best is to open a new thread.

Back to the screwdriver discussion: When doing service on an analog radio magnetic screwdrivers should not be used. A number of small coils will change characteristics if an object nearby is magnetised.

For everything else I use magnetic screwdrivers and have never had bad experiences.

I've been down that road, opening a thread about it a while ago. It wasn't really helpful, mostly people telling me to clean it out. In following the advice received, I downloaded the service manual and I saw the magnetic screwdriver suggested for disassembling my laptop and thought I would ask about it.

I might try applying a new layer of thermal paste as suggested in this thread, but laptop CPUs are much harder to access than those in a Tower, so it'll be a while if I ever get around to doing it.

I'll take advice where ever I can get it.

Back to point...

I'll be sure to stay away from any analog radios with my magnets then ;)

Gremlinzzz
January 27th, 2013, 04:00 AM
:popcorn:Yes