PDA

View Full Version : Perl to count current value based on next value

tzeronone
January 16th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Currently I'm learning Perl and gnuplot. I would like to know how to count certain value based on the next value. For example:

#ID(X) Y
1 1
3 9
5 11

The output should show the value of the unknown ID as well. So, the output should show:

#ID(X) Y
1 1
(2) (5)
3 9
(4) (10)
5 11

The Y of ID#2 is based on the following:
((2-3)/(1-3))*1 + ((2-1)/(3-1))*9 which is
((X2-X3)/(X1-X3))*Y1 + ((X2-X1)/(X3-X1)) * Y3
Same goes to ID#5.

trent.josephsen
January 16th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I suggest you write some Perl code to do it for you.

You have a formula, you know how to apply it to an input to get the desired output -- write an algorithm! It's not that hard, really. If you get stuck, post what you have.

tzeronone
January 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I'm wondering how to get the next ID

tzeronone
January 16th, 2013, 05:42 AM
This is what I have for current
#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my $prev_id = 0;
my $prev_val = 0;
my $next_id;
my $next_val;

while (<>)
{
my ($id, $val) = split;
for (my $i = $prev_id + 1; $i < $id; $i++)
{
$val = (($id - $next_id) / ($prev_id - $next_id)) * $prev_val + (($id - $prev_id) / ($next_id - $prev_id)) * $next_val;
printf ("%d %s\n", $i, $val);
}
printf ("%d %s\n", $id, $val);
($prev_val, $prev_id) = ($val, $id);
}

But how to declare the next value???

Vaphell
January 16th, 2013, 11:07 AM
aren't you overwriting $val there inside the loop, just after reading from file? sloppiness doesn't have place in programming

tzeronone
January 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Any idea to solve it?

Vaphell
January 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
don't overwrite $val and use separate variable to calculate in-between values?
you seem to not understand the purpose of your own variables.

have you tried:
- using seperate var for this line: $val = (($id - $next_id) / ($prev_id - $next_id)) * $prev_val + (($id - $prev_id) / ($next_id - $prev_id)) * $next_val; or even plugging the expression directly into printf() so you don't overwrite actual $val needed later?
- cleaning up the mess with variables that are used but never get any value, like $prev_id, $next_val, $next_id, and vice versa - $i not used anywhere? Your code doesn't use $i at all and it's the only thing that changes in the for-loop scope, you have to use it.
Decide if you want to use $i or $temporary_intermediary_id as the loop controller or whatever and stick to it.

#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my ($prev_id, $prev_val) = (0,0);

while (<>)
{
my ($id, $val) = split;
for( my $temp_id=$prev_id+1; $prev_id>0 && $temp_id<$id; $temp_id++ )
{
printf( "*%s is between %s(%s) and %s(%s) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!\n", $temp_id, $prev_id, $prev_val, $id, $val );
}
printf( "%d %s\n", $id, $val );
($prev_id, $prev_val) = ($id, $val);
}

$ ./num2.pl <<< $'1 1\n5 17\n9 25'
1 1
*2 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*3 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*4 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
5 17
*6 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*7 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*8 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
9 25

tzeronone
January 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
don't overwrite $val and use separate variable to calculate in-between values?
you seem to not understand the purpose of your own variables.

have you tried:
- using seperate var for this line: $val = (($id - $next_id) / ($prev_id - $next_id)) * $prev_val + (($id - $prev_id) / ($next_id - $prev_id)) * $next_val; or even plugging the expression directly into printf() so you don't overwrite actual $val needed later?
- cleaning up the mess with variables that are used but never get any value, like $prev_id, $next_val, $next_id, and vice versa - $i not used anywhere? Your code doesn't use $i at all and it's the only thing that changes in the for-loop scope, you have to use it.
Decide if you want to use $i or $temporary_intermediary_id as the loop controller or whatever and stick to it.

#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my ($prev_id, $prev_val) = (0,0);

while (<>)
{
my ($id, $val) = split;
for( my $temp_id=$prev_id+1; $prev_id>0 && $temp_id<$id; $temp_id++ )
{
printf( "*%s is between %s(%s) and %s(%s) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!\n", $temp_id, $prev_id, $prev_val, $id, $val );
}
printf( "%d %s\n", $id, $val );
($prev_id, $prev_val) = ($id, $val);
}

$ ./num2.pl <<< $'1 1\n5 17\n9 25'
1 1
*2 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*3 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*4 is between 1(1) and 5(17) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
5 17
*6 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*7 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
*8 is between 5(17) and 9(25) <- all numbers required to generate value, use them!
9 25

How about the interpolation part? Any idea?

Tony Flury
January 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM
This is almost exactly the same problem as this thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2103750

and this one :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2103383

The first one is marked as solved.

One of the arts of programming is re-use - so adapt the solution previously provided.

Vaphell
January 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
cheesus, do you really need the expression spelled out?

*6 is between 5(17) and 9(25)
you have 5(17) < 6(x) < 9(25), assuming linear interpolation find x.
hint: prev_id(prev_val) < temp_id(???) < id(val)

iMac71
January 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM
assuming linear interpolationI think that the point be exactly this one: is the interpolation linear or not?
I guess not, because otherwise the algorithm would be very simple; but if the interpolation isn't linear, the unknown values would be unpredictable without more informations about their sequence.

trent.josephsen
January 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
The formula OP gave is just linear interpolation when you know y[n-1] and y[n+1] and have to find y[n]. (Actually in that particular case it simplifies greatly, but you need the general formula to interpolate with a gap of 2 or more.)

tzeronone
January 18th, 2013, 04:45 AM
This is almost exactly the same problem as this thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2103750

and this one :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2103383

The first one is marked as solved.

One of the arts of programming is re-use - so adapt the solution previously provided.

They are not the same...

tzeronone
January 18th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I think that the point be exactly this one: is the interpolation linear or not?
I guess not, because otherwise the algorithm would be very simple; but if the interpolation isn't linear, the unknown values would be unpredictable without more informations about their sequence.

It is linear which based on two points.

tzeronone
January 18th, 2013, 04:49 AM
The formula OP gave is just linear interpolation when you know y[n-1] and y[n+1] and have to find y[n]. (Actually in that particular case it simplifies greatly, but you need the general formula to interpolate with a gap of 2 or more.)

Correct

iMac71
January 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
the following script might be what you're looking for:
my $loop = 1;

while (<>)
{
my $delta_x, $x_i, $y_i, $x_k, $y_k;
if ($loop == 1) {
($x_i, $y_i, $x_k, $y_k) = split
}
else {
($x_i, $y_i) = ($x_k, $y_k);
($x_k, $y_k) = split
}
$delta_x = ($x_k - $x_i) / 2;
my $x_j = $x_i + $delta_x;
my $y_j = (($x_j - $x_k) / ($x_i - $x_k)) * $y_i + (($x_j - $x_i) / ($x_k - $x_i)) * $y_k;
print $x_i,"\t",$y_i,"\n(",$x_j,")\t(",$y_j,")\n";
$loop++;
}when you run the script, the data should be entered as follows:
- first input line: two couples of coordinates (i.e. two points);
- next input lines: a couple of coordinates (i.e. one point).