PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else used the web browser Flock

slimdog360
July 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I just downloaded it then because I have the theme for firefox and it looks really nice. Its got a couple of nice features but also a couple of bugs, though its still in beta. Its meant to go with that flicker website from yahoo with the pictures and stuff.
Personally I rather firefox but think that firefox could take some of its ideas and incorporate them into its own browser.

Things I like about it:
- there is a button at the bottm of the browser which when you click a small box comes up which you can drag pictres and text into for later use(very handy).
- it has a nifty little news reader; everyone has probably already used one of these but its still a nice touch.
- If you are into sharing photos online (I assume you have to use flicker to do so) then its got a very nice looking photo viewer up the top which you can cycle through viewing random photos. Also a service to upload your own photos (but I havent done this yet).

Thats all Ive found so far that I like about it but it is a little slower than firefox and also the way some things are laid out I dont like, such as the favourites up the top, it looks like internet explorer (yuck).
Security wise I wouldnt have a clue, though I noticed it has some affiliation with mozilla so maybe its ok.
Though in total its a pretty decent browser which I think could catch on.

Wallakoala
July 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Things I like about it:
- there is a button at the bottm of the browser which when you click a small box comes up which you can drag pictres and text into for later use(very handy).

You can download the google notebook firefox extension which adds this same functionality.
labs.google.com

slimdog360
July 7th, 2006, 06:46 AM
You can download the google notebook firefox extension which adds this same functionality.
labs.google.com
not too bad, but the flock one seems to be better.

Wallakoala
July 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM
not too bad, but the flock one seems to be better.

yeah but with the google one it uses your account so you can access it from anywhere.

Johnsie
July 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM
not everyone wants to have a "google account" :-p

I don't trust the crazy guy in charge of google :-)

nalmeth
July 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I used it back when I first installed Ubuntu64-bit, it was a trick to be able to use Flashplayer. In the process I found it was a pretty good browser, and used it further. That said, it was beta then, and still beta now, so there are instabilities.

I do like it though, I think I might check in on the newer version

richbarna
July 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I might give it a go, just to try something new.
However I am pretty sure that no browser can outdo Firefox as most of these features are available as plugins.

bluenova
July 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I used it for about 10 mins, ran 'top' found it uses more resources than firefox and deleted it. I'm now looking at Opera 9, which is looking quite nice, just a shame it doesn't always render sites correctly.

jethro10
July 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
yeah but with the google one it uses your account so you can access it from anywhere.

and that is a BIG advantage to me..
J

rcarring
July 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I have used Flock in the past, but in essence it is a Firefox clone with certain features that appeal to some, such as a photo gallery and blogger extension.

I posted about this browser a couple of weeks ago.

nuvo
July 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Well, Flock will be like Firefox since if you strip out the extra features, it basically is.
The Flock browser has just been retooled into what it is rather than writing a load of extensions that you'd have to install yourself (and if you can't click a link and press the OK button, what are you doing on Linux?).

Personaly, I like how it looks, but I don't really need it's extra features and I'm a Google fiend, so I'm more likely to use their extensions.

testube_babies
July 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I wasn't impressed with the 0.5 release of Flock, but with the 0.7 release I find myself using it more and more. My favorite feature is the ability to choose which bookmarks folder to use for the bookmark toolbar. That being said, I still think the best part of the Flock experience is the theme.

The older 0.5 Flock theme is available for Firefox here:
http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/06/6703/

The newer 0.7 Flock theme, with detailed instructions on how to change Firefox to look exactly like Flock, is available here:
http://area51.linux360.ro/firefox/firefox-flock-theme