PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu 12.10 "Installation Type" selections

Haisiong
January 15th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Googled and found some how-to guides for installing Lubuntu/Windows dual-boot. The choices shown in the how-to guides include "Install Lubuntu alongside...". However my Lubuntu 12.10 DVD offers the choice to install Lubuntu "inside" Windows versus "alongside". Huh? Tried that, the installation ceased and the machine rebooted into Windows. Wrong. So I tried the only other meaningful choice, "something else" and failed. Evidently I didn't put Grub where it belongs.

I'll get this untangled eventually, but meanwhile figured I should point out that with 12.10, the installation type selections are... unfortunate. I'm sure I'm not the only noob who wants to dual boot Lubuntu with Windows, and is baffled by the missing "alongside" choice.

Am I making sense here? Or am I missing something obvious?
Thanks!

zvacet
January 16th, 2013, 05:57 PM
When you get to the partitioning stage choose something else and partition your drive.Or see this. (http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html) It may be helpful.

vasa1
January 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM
... However my Lubuntu 12.10 DVD offers the choice to install Lubuntu "inside" Windows versus "alongside". Huh? ...
Am I making sense here? Or am I missing something obvious?
Thanks!
Maybe your Lubuntu 12.10 DVD is the Wubi variety?

Haisiong
January 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
zvacet, I re-installed and got it right after a couple of tries.

vasa1, it sure seems like this would be a "Wubi variety", though I believe there isn't a different download for Wubi. Not sure. Maybe I made an incorrect selection at some point.

Thanks!