PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for Android question :)

alexalghisi
January 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Is Ubuntu for Android going to have a terminal just as Ubuntu for desktop does ? If yes , is it going to support all the functions that the actual terminal does ? :D
And another question , will it be used as a virtual machine or launcher or as a propper os ?

Copper Bezel
January 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Did you ever see the Motorola Atrix? It's that, but made with stock, open Ubuntu. Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android) is a full Ubuntu environment compiled for ARM and running on the same kernel as the Android phone's operating system, with integration to share data between the two OSs. It's not a VM, launcher, or anything else, because although I think it's treated like a VM in some respects, it's running directly from the hardware due to the shared kernel. It's a full Ubuntu environment with all the trimmings that runs when the phone is docked and then suspends (presumably to disk, like hibernating a desktop machine) when the phone is unplugged.

Commercial, non-open-source software will need to be ported to the platform to run, since it's an ARM environment instead of x86 / AMD64. All the usual open source apps will simply be compiled for the platform and run without snags, including the terminal. = )

alexalghisi
January 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Thank you :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS by the way , may I need to have a rooted android phone for Ubuntu Mobile , don't I ? :D

Davsdu
January 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I believe for the time being your Android device needs to be rooted. But I think soon enough there will be a firmware that can be installed without the need for rooting, otherwise I don't see the Ubuntu phone OS really taking off.

VishwasD
February 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Where can I get more technical details about the app & the kernel sharing in UBUNTU for ANDROID?

3rdalbum
February 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I believe for the time being your Android device needs to be rooted. But I think soon enough there will be a firmware that can be installed without the need for rooting, otherwise I don't see the Ubuntu phone OS really taking off.

Ubuntu Phone is for preinstalled devices. It is not intended for end-users to install it on their own phones. Only the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 will be supported for installation (they are the official development platform), for other Android phones you will be dependent on community members porting the system to your phone.

See the big long thread for more details.

kevdog
February 20th, 2013, 04:23 AM
More reason to own a Nexus (and yes I already do!!). The nexus phones might not be the sexiest in terms of hardware features, but their ability to root and flash ROMs make them priceless in my opinion.