PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu without unity.

NoonienSoong97
January 14th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I have an older tablet Toshiba Protege M200. Any version of ubuntu with unity on it I am unable to install on my laptop due to obsolete hardware. I know for a fact that I can take unity off of my ubuntu desktop copy. I am wondering if there is a way to do a fresh install of ubuntu 11.10 or later without installing unity? If there is then I am able to install a newer version of ubuntu. The installer right now is keeping me from being able to install due to hardware compatiblity issues with unity itself.

PS if there isn't a way around this what other distro would be great to use as an alternate?

Eric

QIII
January 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
You can try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which have different desktop environments.

Also look into Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu 12.04, shares Ubuntu's repositories and uses the Enlightenment 17 desktop shell.

grahammechanical
January 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Unity started to come in with 11.04. Any Ubuntu earlier than 11.10 will either be out of life or about to go out of life in April 2013 and this includes 11.10. So, you will have support issues.

Take QIII's advice.

Regards.

P.S. Is the CPU a PAE enabled CPU? If it is not then you need a Non-PAE kernel. Is this what is preventing Ubuntu from installing?

kero4
January 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I have been using LUBUNTU for years on many different older model PCs and laptops. It's a superb distro and runs very fast even on old processors.

Clean and simple interface as well with access to the same software center as ubuntu.

NoonienSoong97
January 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Unity started to come in with 11.04.

However I am able to do a partial upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 on my tablet that did not include unity.

P.S. Is the CPU a PAE enabled CPU? If it is not then you need a Non-PAE kernel. Is this what is preventing Ubuntu from installing?

I believe so.

Thanks for the other options I will try them on virtual box to test them out.

PS I also have to take into account the mathematics program sage. I need to figure out which OS would be able to run it besides ubuntu.