PDA

View Full Version : Would it be worth my time to replace the internal sd card reader?

mamamia88
January 14th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I have an internal card reader on my netbook that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I also have a usb sd card reader. Would the speed difference be significant enough to make a real difference if i fixed it?

sffvba[e0rt
January 14th, 2013, 03:13 PM
IMO it would be more convenient, doubt the speed will be affected much... and it is also very much dependent on the speed of the specific SD Card as I understand it.

Grenage
January 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I would be surprised if they weren't connected to the same bus, with the integrated reader merely being a USB device.

forrestcupp
January 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that most internal card readers are connected through internal USB. So you're not going to get any speed difference. From what I've seen, the only way you're going to get a speed increase is by buying a USB 3.0 card reader if you have a 3.0 slot.

Edit: Grenage ninja'd me about the internal USB thing. :)

mamamia88
January 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM
IMO it would be more convenient, doubt the speed will be affected much... and it is also very much dependent on the speed of the specific SD Card as I understand it.

yeah i tested a class 6 sd card on both and speed was slightly slower on the usb but not by much. That being said i also tested a class 4 micro via usb and the speed came out higher than the class 6. Can't get the micro sd to work in the internal card reader with an adaptor either so can't test that.