PDA

View Full Version : guests versus members

adam.tropics
July 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
(295 members and 1012 guests)

Just noticed the numbers. Now I don't know if they are 'typical', and I don't have any bright ideas, but do you think we should be doing more to encourage guests to join?

atoponce
July 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I think most of those are just looking for an answer to a quick question that they have. I would rather see guests finding what they need than someone signing up, asking a question without searching, and never visiting again, which seems to be too common.

woedend
July 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM
except guests are no longer allowed to search are they?

fuscia
July 7th, 2006, 04:11 AM
do you think we should be doing more to encourage guests to join?

like what? free toasters?

atoponce
July 7th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Guests can search, they just have to wait 30 seconds between searches.

adam.tropics
July 7th, 2006, 04:13 AM
like what? free toasters?

nice idea!!

confused57
July 7th, 2006, 04:13 AM
except guests are no longer allowed to search are they?
That was changed about a week ago, so that guests could perform searches.

I agree with atoponce, guest searching is much better than having someone join and want to be hand-held without doing any research and reading on their own before asking questions.

woedend
July 7th, 2006, 04:19 AM
i have to wait 30 seconds too...which is annoying at times when im just trying to help others using the get unanswered posts button. but i can live with it. When the forums began guest searching was enabled. one day I realized it was turned off when I didn't feel like logging in(was mad, i hated that about fedoraforum). Glad to hear it's back.

atoponce
July 7th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Yeah. What is up with the 30-second delay?? First, I feel like I am staring into a lightbulb, now I have to wait between searches?? IMHO, the forums took too many steps backwards with this recent "upgrade".

adam.tropics
July 7th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty sure the 30sec delay was there already.

woedend
July 7th, 2006, 04:39 AM
it was there before the "change", but hasn't always been there. And it's only during "peak" times.

adam.tropics
July 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM
And it's only during "peak" times.

...what, so when America wakes up?!

woedend
July 7th, 2006, 05:03 AM
nah, i get it at very odd times and its never set. I guess its automated by load? i usually only post throughout the night due to my schedule.
BTW I don't think most people on the forum are american are they? The last poll in the edgy forums I think showed europe winning :)