PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can not login to ubuntu

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Dear

I tried to upgrade Ubuntu from 12.04 LT to 12.10 but unfortunately the power is down,

then i switch on my laptop after electricity back to continue; but now it is giving ubuntu Logo without any responses .

Note:
1) I use Windows 7 Ultimate
2) I have Dos Prompt to select which Operation System will Work
either Windows as Default or by Ubuntu

Thanks in advance,

Saied

darkod
January 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM
By Dos prompt do you mean the windows bootloader or the grub2 ubuntu bootloader? If you have the windows bootloader, do you have a wubi install inside windows or proper dual boot with ubuntu on its own partition?

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM
by dos prompt do you mean the windows bootloader or the grub2 ubuntu bootloader? If you have the windows bootloader, do you have a wubi install inside windows or proper dual boot with ubuntu on its own partition?

first of all, i pleased for your replay and support,

but i am still junior and do not have knlowdge for your terminlogy

for your concern the main o.s. Is windows 7 and it is working fine till now but my ubuntu failed to login

i hope this clear for you.

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I HAVE WINDOWS 7 64-BIT AND I DO NOT KNOW FROM YOUR WHERE GET THIS INFORMATION OF wubi install inside window

darkod
January 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Boot the computer with the ubuntu cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu option), open terminal and post the output of this command:

sudo parted -l (that's small L)

grahammechanical
January 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Some people use this method for trying out Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows

But when they post a problem on this forum, they forget to tell us that they have installed Ubuntu inside Windows. To give accurate advice we need accurate information.

Regards.

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Boot the computer with the ubuntu cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu option), open terminal and post the output of this command:

sudo parted -l (that's small L)

Ok but how i can write this command, if the system does not give me privilege

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM
my question is, how i can open terminal to post any command !!??

darkod
January 13th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Read my post very carefully, again. If you can't do even this basic procedure, there is not much we can do to help you because we don't know magic. :)

Take your ubuntu cd and boot the computer with it, from the cd-rom, not the hdd. Your computer can boot from a cd-rom even if the hdd installation is totally screwed. Selecting the Try Ubuntu option from the main menu of the ubuntu cd, will load a live session running from the cd. That is how you can open terminal.

The more you speak, the more it looks like you have only wubi inside ubuntu, since if you installed it properly from the cd you would know how to boot a computer with a cd.

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:23 PM
yes , i make it this option for Booting from CD.

but this cs gives two option without runit under Dos Shell

the system now open by this method:

Install Ubuntu

or Try it from CD

the cd is contain WUBI, if there is way to create new CD for Repair Ubuntu

darkod
January 13th, 2013, 09:31 PM
If the re is the option Try, the cd is not only wubi, it's the full ubuntu cd. Select the Try option and see if that loads the live session.

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Ok darkod, so where is option of Terminal, do you want me to make install again or select other option of try from CD, bu thsi GUI not Dos Prompt

thanks a lot

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM
do you know which key in keyboard to see the message , i mean like Pause Key

so easy fro you what is the problem i am facing to reboot without CD

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM
the Booting CD , it should be CD or DVD.

Becuase i Burn ISO on DVD not CD

if this make any different

Kindly advise,

Saied

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM
after restart my laptop

I PREES F12 TO CAN SELECT FROM WHHC DRIVE FOR STARTING BOOT

I SELECTED == > DVD

THEN I PRESS CTL + ALT + T

IT GIVES :

BOOT:

THEN I WROTE THIS COMMAND

BOOT: stud Parted -l
BOOT: bad Kernal

what is your suggestion in this case

best regards,

darkod
January 13th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Don't press the Ctrl+Alt+T. Let the dvd boot until you see a main menu asking you if you want to Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu. Select Try and let it boot the live session.

Inside the live session open terminal and execute the command mentioned earlier.

saiedov
January 13th, 2013, 11:43 PM
ok,

i wrote this command

sudo parted -l

i got the following:

Model: ATA ST9640320AS
Disk /dev/sds: 640G
Sector Size (Logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File System Flags
1 1094kB 106MB 105MB Primary fat16 diag
2 106MB 15.8GB 15.7GB Primary ntfs boot
3 15.8GB 329GB 313GB Primary ntfs
4 329GB 640GB 312GB extended lba
5 329GB 535GB 207GB logical ntfs
6 535GB 640GB 105GB logical ntfs

Warning Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read Only File-System). dev/sr0
has been opened read only.
Error: can't have a partition outside the Disk!

darkod
January 14th, 2013, 12:03 AM
You have only wubi inside windows, not a proper dual boot. That will make it little bit more complicated to try and save it. If you don't have any important data inside, you might as well remove this wubi installation from windows Programs, and install it again.

Also, the 12.04 version is LTS which means it has long time support. You don't have to upgrade it to 12.10 just because it's newer.

If you want to try and save this one, try booting the computer, select ubuntu in the first boot menu and that should show you second boot menu. In that second boot menu select the recovery mode option of ubuntu, not the standard. That should show you the recovery mode menu. In there select Network, and after that in the same menu Drop to root shell.

That should open a terminal for you, as root. In there try running these two commands:

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f

After they are finished, reboot and try booting your wubi as normal.

saiedov
January 14th, 2013, 06:27 AM
thank you DARKOD

FIRST, I WANT TO INSTALL 12.10
SECOND, HOW I CAN SELECT RECOVERY MODE
THIRD, HOW I REMOVE THE WUBI IT IS INSIDE DVD AND I BELEIVE I CAN NOT REMOVE IT OR RENAME IT.

saiedov
January 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Can some one guide me to fix this error for booting ubuntu

keheikev
January 14th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I think your question is how to run "terminal" from the cd. From the cd select try linux which will start a live environment which only lives in your ram unless you have it save some persistent files. I believe under the dash menu it should have the program terminal which you need to start.
Then run those commands by default the sudo will not require a password for a live install.
hope that helps
Kevin
;)

saiedov
January 15th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I think your question is how to run "terminal" from the cd. From the cd select try linux which will start a live environment which only lives in your ram unless you have it save some persistent files. I believe under the dash menu it should have the program terminal which you need to start.
Then run those commands by default the sudo will not require a password for a live install.
hope that helps
Kevin
;)

Dear keheikev

thank you for your help, my problem is how to fix Problem of Ubuntu 12.04 LT when starting , becuase now it is showing black screen only

i hope this clear for you and our helper

keheikev
January 15th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I the muddiness came from you referring to the boot-loader menu as a DOS prompt in your initial post.Most dual-boot or multiboot systems display this boot-loader menu at startup.
Are you able to run the terminal commands from the live cd? First we are trying to confirm you do not have a WUBI install which would require a different type of troubleshooting.
That will help diagnose whats going on. You should be able to post to the newsgroup any output from the live cd as it will allow connecting to the internet.
Kevin

darkod
January 15th, 2013, 05:22 PM
The install is wubi, that is already confirmed. Look at the partitions list in post #17. No linux partitions.

I told you what you can try in post #18. Sorry, but if you can't follow that, try asking some friend who knows more about computers to help you follow those instructions. It doesn't matter how many times we repeat them here, you will still have to do them yourself, we can't do them for you.

You have everything you need in post #18. Did you try to do it at all? Where did you get stuck?

Don't just repeat asking what to do, you have few suggestions. Tell us whether you have started following some procedure, and if you did, where did you get stuck.

keheikev
January 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM
whoops sorry somehow I missed those posts this o/s browser combination was kind of jumpy in rendering the group.
Kevin

saiedov
January 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM
OK GENTLEMEN

if repair the booting not fix my problem.

I prefer to remove Ubuntu permanently from my machine, and install it again better than repair it and take long time.

so how i can do that

Thanks,

Saiedov

darkod
January 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Boot windows and go into Control Panel - Programs (on XP it's called Add/Remove Programs).

Find the ubuntu program, click on it and select Uninstall/Remove just like you remove any windows software.

saiedov
January 18th, 2013, 06:28 AM
as the attached file, the system will remove everything related to Ubuntu with all updated before

is it right, so no harm after this one,

and again i will install the new release

Kindly Advise me

thanks for every one help me

darkod
January 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Yes, that's it. It should remove everything, but I don't use wubi so I can't really say. Sometimes there might be bits and pieces left.