PDA

View Full Version : Open source boosterism?

Gamer Boy
January 12th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Disclaimer: I'm posting this from my 14y-o son's account - I've not set one up of my own yet - apols.

Here's my question: I'm a more-geeky-than-most user of PCs and Macs. I'm no coder, but at least 2/3rds of my Facebook friends think I'm the first place to go to with dumb questions about their graphics card or whatever :-?

There's a bit of politics here as well. I hate Microsoft and while I like Apple, I feel very ripped off by them in a range of ways. My even-geekier-than-me friends are always making extravagant claims for Open Source (as part of wider arguments about copyright / copying music that I don't agree with). I've had a few brushes with open source in the past, but I have to say that - looking round the forums and help files here, that there is a strong urge among respondents to defend Ubuntu - that no-one seems to be prepared to say 'yeah - you've clearly spent weeks trying to solve a simple problem, but TBH, Ubuntu has shortcomings..." by way of an answer.

So, my slightly tongue-in-cheek cheeky question to you all: Is there a bit of open-source reputation management going on here? ;-)

Elfy
January 12th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Closed.

Please set up your own account - let's not have your son tarred with your brush ;)