PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu hardware compliance

offerlam
January 12th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

I have played with Linux allot lately but still consider myself a "noob"..

We are planing on using a distro at work that is build from Xubuntu.

I tried to install it on a old DL380 G5 server which did not go well. Something about grafics drivers and having to use acpi commands to get it to work which i never did. I tried installing ubuntu server which worked fine.

That led me to the conclusion that it was not conflict with the ubuntu kernel but with how xubuntu did things.

I then tried a old ML350 G6 which went much better except i had some network-card problemes with that.

All these servers where for testing and i finally found a way to test the distro and now we are all good.

The problem is now that i have to find a template for new hardware and since we are talking about some very expensive servers i have to be sure that the hardware is totally compliant.

Im planing on using HP DL385 Gen 8 or at least some sort of HP Gen 8 server.

Does any of you know if the HP gen 8 series are fully compliant hardware wise with Xubuntu or if there is a list or something?

Sincerely

Casper

Peripheral Visionary
January 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
The only "list" I know of is for Ubuntu rather than Xubuntu, but either distro should work: Ubuntu Certified Hardware (http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/)

If there is a separate list for "Xubuntu certified hardware" that would be awesome. Perhaps we should suggest it to the Xubu team if it would really different from Ubuntu's.

offerlam
January 14th, 2013, 06:18 AM
My problem is i feel i can't trust the ubuntu certified list because the issue I ran into was ONLY with the Xubuntu installation.. I tried with a ubuntu server which worked fine...

here is a article on the issue i had

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

so before we go and invest 10,000$ in a server i would like to know that my Xubuntu install will work all the way..