PDA

View Full Version : Email service

ICouldBeAnyone
January 12th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place but...

I am over Google, its a good service and all but I'm over it. I use Gmail but would quickly convert if Canonical made an email service, maybe even Ubuntu One Email! If this service came out, I would switch ASAP! :D

If Canonical did create this theoretical service would you switch?

MadmanRB
January 12th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Maybe, but for now gmail is fine for me.
I rarely get spam in it and it has a great amount of space.

CharlesA
January 12th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Maybe, but for now gmail is fine for me.
I rarely get spam in it and it has a great amount of space.

Same here.

There is also the time spent updating contact information...

lisati
January 12th, 2013, 01:41 AM
If a new service came out, I'd probably stick with the service I currently use. Until, of course, I have too many "senior moments" to cope with keeping my email server up-to-date and spam free.

And yes, I do have a handful of hotmail, Yahoo and gmail accounts, most of which are either forwarded to my server or retrieved via fetchmail.

ICouldBeAnyone
January 12th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Same here.

There is also the time spent updating contact information...

There is that, and I have nothing against Google (well, maybe I do a little) but, with the Ubuntu Phone OS coming out, I think it would be a nice feature to have.

Gmail is a good service but I like to be a bit different :-P

cariboo
January 12th, 2013, 02:02 AM
There is that, and I have nothing against Google (well, maybe I do a little) but, with the Ubuntu Phone OS coming out, I think it would be a nice feature to have.

Gmail is a good service but I like to be a bit different :-P

Doesn't your ISP provide email service?

I use both my ISP, and Gmail, I also have an Ubuntu.com email address, but that is only an alias to one of my ISP provided email accounts.

iponeverything
January 12th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I'm over it too. Free, functional, reliable, fast, lots of features, great integration -- yea, so over it. Give me drama over reality any day..

ICouldBeAnyone
January 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I'm over it too. Free, functional, reliable, fast, lots of features, great integration -- yea, so over it. Give me drama over reality any day..

Fair enough, I just don't want to help Google take over the world! :-P

And I like anything Ubuntu, and would persionally love to have my email with my favorite company (Canonical), not one I dislike (Google) or one I hate (Microsoft), and not one that I kinda dislike (Yahoo).

(No offense to anyone that likes those companies)

I just don't like Google, and if I were to move I would love to move to something made by Canonical!

ICouldBeAnyone
January 12th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Some people do want this, I don't care if the email address is example@one.ubuntu.com!
I would use it!

Think about it this way, Ubuntu one, a great cloud service, all it's missing is email!

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/30477/

^^ I did not submit this, other people want it too!

The Spectre
January 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I would also be interested in an Ubuntu E-Mail Account.

And it would also help increase the awareness of Ubuntu every time someone receives a E-Mail from a @Ubuntu.com user.

There are many options that could be used such as...
@Ubuntu.com
@Ubuntu.org
@UbuntuOne.com
@UbuntuOne.org
@UbuntuMail.com
@UbuntuMail.org

My two preferences would be either @Ubuntu.com or @UbuntuMail.com.

In the meantime there is the option to create a @Linuxmail.org E-Mail address at Mail.com...
http://service.mail.com/registration.html?edition=us&lang=en&device=desktop#.7518-header-getaccount1-1

Or you could also add a Signature to your E-Mail like I have that also includes a Link to Ubuntu.com to help increase the Awareness of Ubuntu (See Attached Screenshot).

angry_johnnie
January 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'd probably get one and just have all my gmail forwarded to it. It's not a bad idea, really.

entw
January 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'll get one, but I already have pretty much of them, like 10-12 or so.

haqking
January 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I would also be interested in an Ubuntu E-Mail Account.

And it would also help increase the awareness of Ubuntu every time someone receives a E-Mail from a @Ubuntu.com user.

There are many options that could be used such as...
@Ubuntu.com
@Ubuntu.org
@UbuntuOne.com
@UbuntuOne.org
@UbuntuMail.com
@UbuntuMail.org

My two preferences would be either @Ubuntu.com or @UbuntuMail.com.

In the meantime there is the option to create a @Linuxmail.org E-Mail address at Mail.com...
http://service.mail.com/registration.html?edition=us&lang=en&device=desktop#.7518-header-getaccount1-1

Or you could also add a Signature to your E-Mail like I have that also includes a Link to Ubuntu.com to help increase the Awareness of Ubuntu (See Attached Screenshot).

you can get an alias for @ubuntu.com https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuEmail

But you need to be a member and it is only an alias.

sandyd
January 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM
probably wouldnt
Ive been spending time this weekend to move emails to my new account, and it is already giving me a headache

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM
It's way too much of a pain in the backside for everyone involved to try to contact all of the people who matter and have them change my email address, including all of my online billing accounts. Back in the beginning, when we all used dial-up, I used my ISP's email. I changed ISPs so many times that people started getting mad at me for making them change my address in their contacts. So eventually, I went to Gmail, and I've stuck with it for years.

Email is just a tool for people to send you messages electronically. They send me messages, I read them, and I send them messages back. There's no way I'm going through all of that hassle just because it would be cool to have an Ubuntu email address. And as much as it pains me to say it, I have a lot more faith in Google's longevity than Ubuntu's. Plus, iOS and Android devices work too well with Google accounts for me to switch to something that wouldn't work as well.

theredstick
January 12th, 2013, 11:45 PM
After spending the whole day putting all my email accounts from various domains into Thunderbird I don't think I would really like another.

I probably would get an account for Ubuntu but I'm not sure of how it would be beneficial to me. With my gmail accounts I have all the resources I need and there is Google+ which is keeping quite entertained at present.

The Spectre
January 13th, 2013, 04:15 PM
It seems that the majority of the reasons for not wanting a Ubuntu E-Mail Account is because of their E-Mail Contacts.

But it requires nothing more than a few Mouse Clicks to Export you Contacts from one E-Mail service and Import them into another E-Mail Service.

The other concern that was raised was having to notify everyone of your new E-Mail Address.

But why not use both?
Many of the E-Mail services have the ability to Send and Receive E-Mail from other E-Mail Accounts.

I actually prefer having separate E-Mail Address for different things (Personal,Business and Shopping) plus it helps keep the Spam in control.
My Personal E-Mail only gets about 3 to 6 Spams a Week.
I have one for Business that is also for the most part Spam free.
And I have one for Online Purchases that gets a crap load of Spam and when it gets to out of control I will just delete it and create another one for Online Purchases.

Another advantage of using different E-Mail Address for different things is if one of your accounts becomes compromised it wont affect your entire digital life and hopefully just affects one aspect of it (Personal,Business or Shopping).

mike acker
January 14th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place but...

I am over Google, its a good service and all but I'm over it. I use Gmail but would quickly convert if Canonical made an email service, maybe even Ubuntu One Email! If this service came out, I would switch ASAP! :D

If Canonical did create this theoretical service would you switch?

Call CoreComm

for 15 bucks per quarter you can have your own domain registered... and they give you 25 e mail addresses with that . their policy is that they do not monitor your email

their service is really great; highly recommended .

Bandit
January 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I would love an Ubuntu email, but I couldnt just drop the email accounts I have now. I have one for everything use and one for private use. Thus my older everything email account gets ton of junk email from time to time, but my private one hardly if ever sees any junk. I advice everyone to have two accounts.

sffvba[e0rt
January 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM
There is nothing Ubuntu could offer me that I can't get from gmail (except yet another e-mail address nope I can get that from gmail too :p)

ICouldBeAnyone
January 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if canonical made an "easy transfer" feature for contacts, IE login with your Google account and it automatically transfers your contacts, stuff like that is possible, I have seen other services look at my contacts (with my permission) from Gmail.

Also, the people that would get an account has reached 50/50, PEOPLE WANT IT!!!

Elfy
January 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Also, the people that would get an account has reached 50/50, PEOPLE WANT IT!!!

17 people in a little poll in one thread in a forum somewhere.

forrestcupp
January 14th, 2013, 01:48 PM

I wish you could "like" posts on here. :)

haqking
January 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM

15 of them would complain and rant about it not looking good or working properly and would be going back to gmail because emailwatch.com said gmail has more hits than the ubuntu mail page ;-)