PDA

View Full Version : Errror: NullPointerException

loremaster
January 11th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Hi guys,

I am trying to create a file object with a pathname to a file directory and using the method listFiles() to return an array of pathnames under this file directory.

The code:

File allFile=new File("~/Desktop/matlab/CAT_00");
File[] fileList = allFile.listFiles();

However when i ran the the code, i get an exception declaring

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at CatTest.main(CatTest.java:29)
Java Result: 1

So it appears that either my allFile object contains null object? I am not really sure myself. I tried checking the directory path that i wanted which was "~/Desktop/matlab/CAT_00" and it was correct. So i can't really figure out what can be wrong here?

Edit:

I tried using the debugging mode to check these 2 lines of code and found that listFiles() returned this exception error. However i do not understand why there should be an null exception error since there was files and directories under the CAT_00 main directory i created the File object with in the 1st place and hence should have returned an array of pathnames for these files and directories instead.

Help is appreciated! Thank you!

bird1500
January 11th, 2013, 05:21 AM
You either feed a path starting with "." or "/" or the name of the dir (These 3 options are for relative paths) or the full (absolute) path of the dir. Java doesn't understand/decode the "~" to the home path. So Java doesn't find the directory with that path and returns null for allFile, hence when you call a method on it it throws a null pointer exception.

muteXe
January 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
So it appears that my allFile object contains null object?

No, it means your allFile object IS a null object. Follow bird1500's post and put in the full path to your directory.

When you're doing stuff like this it's always good to test for nullness, or stick a try/catch around it.